Official 2010-2011 Handgun Hunting Challenge Kill Thread

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
Post up your kills for the Challenge here!

Official Point Tally

Team 1 (specialk and son) - 0

Team 2 (bowhntr and SakoL61R) -41

Team 3 (Will-dawg and RVGuy) - 11

Team 4 (ATLRoach and ranger374) - 0

Team 5 (DarrellH and Forkhorn) - 42

Last edited:

Will-dawg

#1 down

team: #3

date:10-16-10

time:9:45 am private land

weapon: TC contender 30-30

ammo: 160 grain leverevolutions

sex: doe

I hunted in the thickest, nastiest stuff that I know of on this piece of property. I looked in front of me and saw some deer at less than 30 yards but I never heard them. It was 4 big does and as soon as I got a good clear shot I dropped the hammer. Meat for the freezer.

Attachments

• P1010854.JPG
    P1010854.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,663
  • P1010856.JPG
    P1010856.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 1,656

Darrell H

Team: #5

Date: 10-16-2010

Time: 11:55 A.M.

Weapon Used: .41 Mag Contender

Ammo Used: 210 Grain Remington JSP handload

Sex of Deer (# of points if buck): 2 Does

Details about the hunt: I had planned on hunting until 12:00 noon today. At 11:45 a.m. I still hadn't seen a deer all morning. I was just about to climb down out of my stand when I noticed a group of deer coming from behind me and 100 yards to my left. I didn't even raise my handgun as the group of six does passed through because it was so brushy.

I was sitting overlooking a grove of white oaks that had the ground literally covered in acorns. I just sat there hoping that that was the reason that they had chosen to visit my hollow; it was. Eventually I saw them headed my way and one of them finally stopped in front of me about 30 yards out. I shot the doe in the right shoulder with a 210 gr Remington JSP (I later found out that it passed completely through the shoulder on the opposite side as well) and she ran 30-40 yards. At the shot, deer scattered everywhere. Not sure of where the shot had come from, a smaller deer came running right toward my stand and stopped facing me about 10 yards away. I put the crosshairs on its neck and fired. The Remington JSP broke the neck, passed through the heart, and exited out the bottom of the deer about midway between its front and rear legs.
100_0468_1_.jpg

Last edited:

RVGuy

Bacon Bits for Team #3

team: #3

date:10-16-10

time:6:10pm Fort Stewart

weapon: TC Encore .243win

ammo: 100grn Rem Cor-Lokts

sex: Sow 110lbs

After she and a couple of her cohorts ran off a few nannies I figured she deserved a rest.

Attachments

• hog 001.JPG
    hog 001.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 2,072

ranger374

congrats:yeah:,

man i gotta get one down to catch up now:banginghe

Will-dawg

Awesome job will-dawg. Congratulations on the first handgun kill of 2010!!!!!

Thanks Darrel and congrats on a fine eating double.:clap:

Also way to put us some points on the board RVGuy. By the way--send some of that bacon and ham my way (not live cause i can go without hogs were I hunt);) :yeah:

ranger374

alright takin the 500 out this afternoon and gonna try to get team #4 on the board:yeah:

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
Great job everyone!

I will update the first post with the point totals.

Will-dawg. As soon as I get a spare minute I will find something to send you as the "first kill" prize.

bowhntr

Team # 2

Date : 11-6-10

Time 10:00 AM Private land

Weapon T/C Contender .357 Max

Ammo : My handloads Hornady 180gr SSP

Sex : Buck 8pt

The rut in Meriwether is just getting fired up so went to a place I have that is only 35 acres . This place has produced an 11pt before and was hoping to see one of his kin. Had put out some Golden Estrous scent wicks and was using a estrous can call and at 10:00 a.m. I heard a noise behind me and this buck had his nose in the wind going right to my scent wick. I let him get to about 20yds and already had the pistol up and cocked when he stepped past some brush and pulled the trigger . He ran about 80yds and piled up . I took out his heart and bottom of both lungs.
It has been a slow year this year and this is the first deer that has walked in front of me since I put a pistol in my hands. He field dressed at about 140lbs , big bodied deer but racks was very small .
SUNP0009-2-1.jpg

P1010003b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bowhntr

Team #2 Strikes again

Team # 2

Date : 11-13-10

Time : 5:22 PM Private land

Weapon : T/C Contender .357 Max

Ammo: My handloads W/ 180gr Hornady SSP

Sex : Doe/ Button head

Saturday afternoon I was sitting on a field on my lease in Jasper county , there are some very long shots to be had but I was trying to limit myself to 100yds or less . I was in my popup blind @ 3:30 PM watching and waiting and nothing happened untill about 5:10 when out of the corner of my eye I spotted something on the end of the field . I pulled up my binos and looked to see what it was and couldnt find anything , then it popped its head up and moved around so I could get a look at it. It fed around an oak tree for a while and it was far enough that I was not comfortable with the shot , so I waited---- and then it started trotting down the field and started to turn and go back in the woods but it stopped just long enough for me to get the scope on it and make the shot . It dropped in its tracks , then I grabbed my laser rangefinder and took a reading ---- it said 148yds . Wow that is the longest shot so far in Georgia that I have made , so i lasered the distance to where I first saw the deer and it read 212yds . All I can say is the scope will have to be changed from a 2X to something with a bit more XXXs for next season because I think if I could have had up to a 7X scope I believe I could have made the shot @ 212 .:biggrin3:
P1010005b.jpg

Darrell H

Team: #5

Date: 11-21-2010

Time: 8:45 A.M.

Weapon Used: .41 Mag Contender

Ammo Used: W296/210 Grain Remington JSP handload

Sex of Deer (# of points if buck): 8 Point

Hunt Details:

About 8:45 a.m. this morning, this buck came through apparently cruising for does. Shot distance was about 30 yards.
100_0476.jpg