Oglethorpe county Public Land

rbday1989

I was on a club in Oglethorpe county for the last couple years! Well I got out but still want to hunt in Oglethorpe and like 6miles from my old club I found what it says to be public land government owned.. it’s off Oconee Forest rd off Union Point ( 77 ) ... just wAnt to know is it public and if it’s a popular area? I’m 1hr 30mins from town and just want to make sure it’s public land 100% says its 3,000 acres.. thanks guy

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Look up Redlands WMA. Some of it may be Oglethorpe.

rbday1989

Look up Redlands WMA. Some of it may be Oglethorpe.
Thanks yes that’s the land I was talking about! Now on that do you have to check into a station or how does that work? I understand if you kill a buck it needs to be checked in? I wonder if there are any regulations I can look at so I know what I’m going into next season? Thanks for the help..

Arrow3

Yes there is a chunk of redlands in Oglethorpe County where you're talking about.

You can sign in online to hunt the wma. You just have to do it 1 time per season. You also can check in your kills online. You don't physically have to goto the check station.

Arrow3

Yes there is a chunk of redlands in Oglethorpe County where you're talking about.

You can sign in online to hunt the wma. You just have to do it 1 time per season. You also can check in your kills online. You don't physically have to goto the check station.

35 Whelen

Thanks yes that’s the land I was talking about! Now on that do you have to check into a station or how does that work? I understand if you kill a buck it needs to be checked in? I wonder if there are any regulations I can look at so I know what I’m going into next season? Thanks for the help..

Yes, get a Georgia Hunting Seasons & Regulations booklet and read it, especially the Public Hunting Opportunities section starting on page 40.

35 Whelen

Then in the sticky notes read Beginners Guide to Hunting Public Land by C. Killmaster.

The Donk

Sign in with your phone one time and you are good to go. But be aware you also have to sign in for every hunt as the season changes. For example I had to sign in for archery, then primitive, then buck only firearms, then firearms either sex which ends Nov. 30th I believe.

The area you are talking sounds like the northern part of Scull Shoals, accessible from Oconee forest road via Bull Ray Rd. There is a part of that that looks like a mushroom, among other things, on the map. The southern part of that mushroom has been logged recently and should give large fields of view for cruising bucks. There are both deer and turkey in those woods. Good luck.