Oh, curses!

StriperAddict

Nice message on Galatians chapter 3, etc. An answer to those who believe grace teachers are "Antinomian".
Enjoy ...
==============================

Freed From The Curse Of The Law

Using Jewish Scripture, Paul seeks to convince the believers in Galatia that righteousness is by faith and not by law.
He specifically points to the verse in Jewish Scripture which says, “The righteous will live by faith” (Habakkuk 2:4).
He specifically points to Abraham who was declared righteous by God the moment he believed (Genesis 15:6).

God revealed to Abraham that all people, Jew and Gentile alike, would be blessed by faith.
Paul writes about this in Galatians 3:8-9.

He writes, “The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and foretold the gospel to Abraham: ‘All nations will be blessed through you.’ So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.”

As long as the law was in place...as long as the Jews were under law, the blessing (righteousness and his Spirit in us) that God promised would come to all nations (Gentiles) through Abraham could NOT come.

Paul writes,
“Christ redeemed us [Jews] from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us. For it is written: ‘Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.’ He redeemed us in order that the blessing [righteousness, Spirit in our hearts] promised to Abraham would come to the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, so that by faith we [Jew and Gentile] might receive the promise of the Spirit.” (Galatians 3:13-14).

There are three groups of people Paul mentions in these two verses:
Group #1: Us - refers to Jews, the people of Israel
Group #2: Gentiles - everyone who isn’t Jewish
Group #3: We - Jew and Gentile together
Why does this matter?
Notice whom Jesus redeemed, or set free, from the curse of the law...the Jews.
What is THE curse of the law?

Death.

For the Jewish people, the ultimate punishment for breaking the Law of Moses was death, making death the curse of the law (Deuteronomy 21:22-23).

It is important to know the Law of Moses is not the curse...death is the curse.

The Law of Moses was good, holy, and righteous (Romans 7:12).

For example, a Stop Sign is not a curse.

The Stop Sign is good.

The curse is the fine (payment, penalty, punishment) for failure to stop.

The ultimate fine for breaking the law is death.

Jesus redeemed (set free, delivered) the Jews from the curse of the law (death) by becoming a curse for them, when he died and was hung on the cross (Deuteronomy 21:22-23; Galatians 3:13).

Did Jesus not die for the Gentiles too?
Yes, he did.
Sin was in the world before the law, affecting both Jew and Gentile (Romans 5:12-14).
The penalty for sin has always been death, whether Jew or Gentile (Romans 3:23).
Even though Gentiles were not under the Law of Moses, they were still under the penalty of sin...death (Romans 3:9-20, 23; 5:11-21; 6:23).

And though the Gentiles were not physically under the law, and its 600 plus laws, the law was written on their hearts (an internal knowledge of right and wrong, the Ten Commandments)...thus, condemning them to death, too (Romans 2:14-15; 3:9-20).

So, whether Jew or Gentile, all are under the moral law and its curse.

The Jews as a nation were under the law written on stone and in the Book of the Law, and the Gentiles were under the law written on their hearts (Romans 2:14-15; moral conscience, The Ten Commandments).

Both were responsible for obeying the moral law.

The Jews were responsible for obeying all of the laws in Exodus, Leviticus, and Deuteronomy, and the Gentiles were responsible for obeying the moral law written on their hearts.

And, if the Gentile Galatians put themselves physically under the Law of Moses, even though God did not, they would become responsible for obeying the entire law (Galatians 3:10).
Disobedience to the law would bring the ultimate curse...death (Romans 7:24), whether Jew or Gentile.

We all disobeyed the law...we failed to stop at the Stop Sign!

Jesus stopped at the Stop Sign.

Then, through his death, paid the fine for each of us for our failure to stop.

And what is the fine?

Death.

In Jesus’ death, he not only freed the people of Israel from the curse (death) of the law, but he also freed the Gentiles from the curse of the law by paying our sin penalty in full (Romans 5:8; 1 John 2:2).

I don’t mean to minimize the death of Jesus with the Stop Sign illustration.
This illustration falls woefully short of the sin Jesus took upon himself at the cross.
Placed upon Jesus, when he hung on the cross, were the sins of all people for all time.
That’s unimaginable and indescribable.

But it was done in love.

Paul describes the love of Jesus in Galatians 2:20 when he writes:
“The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.”
Paul personalized the love of Jesus when he wrote, “...who loved me and gave himself for me [for my sin].”

The personalization of the love of Jesus changed Paul’s life.

We see this when he writes, “The life I live…”
It will change our lives, too.

Today, personalize Jesus’ love for you.
See Jesus as the One who loved you and gave his life for you.

Believe it.

Have faith in Jesus.

Then, like Paul, you will say…

“The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.”

- Brad Robertson - Freedom in Christ Movement