Oh no, not another one!

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I love not having to dodge them and their roots with the riding mower more than anything!

Copy that, now you've got to refill it with some soil. You probably already know that, but in my experience I had to keep adding dirt for several years until settling and what didn't burn completely continues to rot/decompose to soft mulch down under.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Copy that, now you've got to refill it with some soil. You probably already know that, but in my experience I had to keep adding dirt for several years until settling and what didn't burn completely continues to rot/decompose to soft mulch down under.
Yep, in the past I've just left them to rot but since these are bigger trees and in the middle of the lawn in some places I thought I'd try this. I'll take the blower and blow all the ashes away and then fill in with a mix of compost and soil and keep filling in as it settles. Come spring, I'll seed those spots and see if I can't get some grass to grow.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Yep, in the past I've just left them to rot but since these are bigger trees and in the middle of the lawn in some places I thought I'd try this. I'll take the blower and blow all the ashes away and then fill in with a mix of compost and soil and keep filling in as it settles. Come spring, I'll seed those spots and see if I can't get some grass to grow.

Oh you'll be fine doing what you did, I've done the same thing. It'll eventually quit settling. On a couple of occasions to quicken the process I deployed a mattock and busted the ground up and got out any large roots below the soil and can't even tell there was a stump there after adding soil on several more occasions.

(y)