Ok, another help needed thread. But from historians this time.

Toliver

Anybody know how to find history of an old closed down railroad? I have googled all the way to a dead end and can't find anything on this line. Google map shows it only exists for a few hundred yards now so I think this little section may be all that's left that hasn't been absorbed into surrounding properties so the rail line doesn't show anymore. I would love to know the history of this old line.

Toliver

For those who are completely disinterested, here's what someone sent me about this rail line.Screenshot_20230427_220432_Email.jpgScreenshot_20230427_220417_Email.jpg

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Try this site for a little info on rails in Georgia in general.

and this one maybe.

Toliver

Try this site for a little info on rails in Georgia in general.
Cool.

So the guy that sent me that has a website of abandoned railroads around the world. He actually didn't have this one so my inquiry helped him add one to his collection. Now to close on the property so I can get in there with a metal detector!

oldfella1962

Maybe this helps. Any old topo maps would show railroad lines.

Toliver

Maybe this helps. Any old topo maps would show railroad lines.
Interesting. I'll have to check that out. The problem would be not knowing how far to go back if you don't know the history. The railroad inquired about closed in 1970 so a newer map would not likely show it on there. Currently Google map only shows the property boundaries, not a railroad line. You would never have a clue it was a railroad from that map. It's weird knowing what it is and it just begins and ends at each end of the property.

campboy

Interesting. I'll have to check that out. The problem would be not knowing how far to go back if you don't know the history. The railroad inquired about closed in 1970 so a newer map would not likely show it on there. Currently Google map only shows the property boundaries, not a railroad line. You would never have a clue it was a railroad from that map. It's weird knowing what it is and it just begins and ends at each end of the property.
Which property are you talking about? We may need to meet up

Toliver

We are in the process of buying near the intersection of Burkhalter Rd and Reeceburg Rd.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Congratulations and welcome to the neighborhood. My brother lives near there.

I'm just NE of Rome City limits. Sounds like a Floyd County GON mini-gathering might be in our future? @campboy

Yelpu1

On a 1900 topo map it is labeled “Chattanooga Rome & Southern RR”.

It was purchased by Central of Georgia in 1901.

Last edited:

Toliver

On a 1900 topo map it is labeled “Chattanooga Rome & Southern RR”.
Yeah, my wife started doing more digging and found some different names. Not being a railroad expert, she just surmised that different companies had different spurs or lines and maybe as they came and went in and out of business, line names changed from time to time. I have no idea. I just think it's going to be cool to have an old 19th century rail bed to explore.

Toliver

Congratulations and welcome to the neighborhood. My brother lives near there.

I'm just NE of Rome City limits. Sounds like a Floyd County GON mini-gathering might be in our future? @campboy

Sounds good to me.

Yelpu1

Yeah, my wife started doing more digging and found some different names. Not being a railroad expert, she just surmised that different companies had different spurs or lines and maybe as they came and went in and out of business, line names changed from time to time. I have no idea. I just think it's going to be cool to have an old 19th century rail bed to explore.

Yelpu1

I have an abandon rail line running thru our farm. I have spent hours detecting, found plenty of spikes, rail nuts and treated wood used to build trestle over creek. Have fun !