Ol' Foot-long.

Killer Kyle

Caught my personal best wild brook trout a couple days ago on a small blue line in the Chattahoochee NF here in northeast Georgia. I have been trying for years and years, but I've never been able to catch one that exceeds 10.25'' or so on a wild brook trout. I've been spin fishing a lot more recently and hunting hard trying to bust a one-footer. Finally was able to make it happen Monday. What made this fish especially special to me is that it came from a pool that I named "The Hog Hole" several years ago. I always catch a nice speck from that stream. I mean EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. I just told Buckman about the pool a few weeks back, and lo and behold, it produced again. This fish was old as dirt, and was at the end of its road. Although a very muscular fish, it had nearly no life left. I thought I was snagged, when the trout struck, but felt the tug back and knew I had a good one. I saw its size and was prepared for a good fight, but it just gave up and I horsed it onto the bank effortlessly.
I caught it using a Trout Magnet gold jig with a Berkely Power Honey Worm soft grub.
I had left my tape in my vehicle as I had removed most of my fishing gear from my pack and was fishing light. Although it would have been nice to let this fish go, I knew I had to put a tape on it immediately, because by eyeballing it, I thought for sure it was a 12 incher. That combined with the sure knowledge that this fish might not even make it until this upcoming spawn, I decided to let nature be what it is. I brought him home.
This was a memorable speck for me because finding a foot long wild speck in GA is like finding a needle in a haystack. I asked Buckman if I could come over because I had to show him something, and he told me to come on over. I got to his house and told him I needed a witness so another person could say that they saw it in person. Just for the record, you know Buckman is an apt username, because while sitting in his living room, his two year old boy came up to me, and would point at a mounted buck and say "daddy", then he would point to the next buck, and say "daddy", then the next, then the next, and the next, and the next. That boy knows where all those big bucks came from!
I wish yall tight lines. Although the trout bite is slowing down lower down on the rivers, the bite is still very, very good in the higher up streams.
As always "further up, and further in."
-Kyle
2zyg414.jpg

xpq7f8.jpg

41gxw.jpg

Attachments

• speck1.jpg
    speck1.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 19

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Beautiful fish. Congratulations.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Man, that is a monster! Nobody can really appreciate that unless you've speck fished-it's like a 20 lb bass. In a half-century of fishing, I've caught probably tens of thousands of native specks. The biggest one I ever caught was just a fuzz over 11".

Congrats, I'd put that one on the wall!

Killer Kyle

Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words! Buckman suggested I mount it. I thought about it. I'm trying to save $ for a new truck right now, so I'm being frugal. I guess if I ever catch one that busts 13", it is going on the wall.

Hillbilly, you're right. To so many people, that seems like a small fish, and they don't realize size is relative. This was a total slab, and I was tickled pink! I might not ever catch another one like that in my entire life!

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Kyle..... money's not that tight son, put that fish on the wall. That is a MONSTER speck and you may never top it. Congrats brother, hit me up we need to make a trip and try that section we were talking about.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words! Buckman suggested I mount it. I thought about it. I'm trying to save $ for a new truck right now, so I'm being frugal. I guess if I ever catch one that busts 13", it is going on the wall.

Hillbilly, you're right. To so many people, that seems like a small fish, and they don't realize size is relative. This was a total slab, and I was tickled pink! I might not ever catch another one like that in my entire life!
Make the money to do it. You will probably never catch one to top it. You will never regret it in the long run. I'm not much on mounts, but a 12" speck would get it, if I had to hock something.

Killer Kyle

It's too late fellas! The damage is done! I cut the head off and cleaned him that nightand he's in the fridge. Interesting thing I noticed today is that when I examined the stomach contents, there was only 1 nymph (stonefly). The only other contents were skeletal remains. There were 2 spinal columns(fish or salamander...I'm not sure), and one fish jawbone. There are no other fish in this part of the creek. No minnows of any sort. Only specks. That means this biggun was eating others. This one was a meat eater. I think that's really cool!

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Very nice catch.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What size is the record in that Species
There isn’t a record for the southern appalachian subspecies of brook trout. They average about 4”-6” in length. A 10” speck is about the equivalent of a ten pound bass.

Killer Kyle

What size is the record in that Species
Kmckimnie....the record is a ridiculously huge fish that was caught from Waters Creek. It wasn't a real, wild brook trout, and every brook trout fisherman chagrins the fact that the state record was a pellet fed hog from a trophy stream that was fed pellets twice weekly. It was like a 5 lb fish or something like that. Wild ones down here can't grow that big. That trout came from the far northern US where brook trout can reach 12+ lbs because of their genes. Here in the southern Appalachians, a mature reproducing brook trout averages maybe 4"-6" on average. Although the law doesn't differentiate between the northern and southern brook trout, dedicated speck fishermen do. Many down here don't refer to them as "brook trout", but rather call them "southern appalachian brook trout".

ugajay

I've read this post time and time again. I know not the first thing about trout or trout fishing. Never even attempted it. But I know killer Kyle posts a bunch of nice stuff on here. And I know he is passionate about the north Georgia mountains, bear hunting, and trout. Seeing the words of excitement, and from other replies, I see how rare a foot long brook trout is. I would just like to say it is truly enjoyable to be able to share that excitement with you on your fish of a lifetime!!! Congrats again!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Kmckimnie....the record is a ridiculously huge fish that was caught from Waters Creek. It wasn't a real, wild brook trout, and every brook trout fisherman chagrins the fact that the state record was a pellet fed hog from a trophy stream that was fed pellets twice weekly. It was like a 5 lb fish or something like that. Wild ones down here can't grow that big. That trout came from the far northern US where brook trout can reach 12+ lbs because of their genes. Here in the southern Appalachians, a mature reproducing brook trout averages maybe 4"-6" on average. Although the law doesn't differentiate between the northern and southern brook trout, dedicated speck fishermen do. Many down here don't refer to them as "brook trout", but rather call them "southern appalachian brook trout".
Yes, there is a distince genetic difference between the two. The northern strain/subspecies gets much bigger. I've caught stocker northern-strain brooks two feet long that weighed several pounds. It's a shame that they don't seperate the two for record purposes.

deerhuntingdawg

I’ve seen that fish somewhere else! Congrats again Kyle. My quest continues...biggest speck this year was between 10 1/2-11 Inches. Your pics and posts have seriously motivated me man!!