old bow hunt pics from 1966,,,

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
In 66 I was nine. I remember carring the "game sack" at that age. You had to earn the right to tote a weapon in my family at that time, we hunted in hoards back then. I did shoot squirrels and rabbits, with a 22.
I remember an ole homemade hickory bow with some sticks for arrows, with just sharpened tips I use to fling at small critters back then.
I don't beleive I have hever had any pics of me hunting, some camp pics, but no hunting pics with animals.
I did'nt really seriously start bow hunting till the late 70s.
Good thread !
Jerald

Al33

I have posted this pic before so excuse me for doing it again, but this thread beckons it.

I wished I had pic's from my real early days with my old solid fiberglass Ben Pearson and some of the critters I took with it. Of course back then cameras were not what they are today and not everyone had them.

My first whitetail with a bow(1976), a Ben Pearson Hunter 50# and a bear Razorhead head without the bleeder blades. Believe it or not, 34 yard shot. The buck dropped and turned to make his exit after hearing my release and the arrow hit him in the spine.

Attachments

• bowbuck76.jpg
    bowbuck76.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 186

fflintlock

You wore bell bottoms hunt'n ? Wow, you are fashionable heheheeeeee.
Would'nt much "camo" back in the day, were it.
Everyone did just fine in jeans and regular shirts.
Good pic, you look happy as ImadummyImadummyImadummyImadummy !!
Jerald

Al33

Heck yeah I was happy!!! Not only that, I apparently thought I was pretty cool with the cancer stick hanging from my lips.:eek: My smoking almost did me in that day because although I hit the buck in the spine he was able to attempt an escape with his front legs. My next arrow trying to stop him stuck in a tree about 12 feet off the ground and the rest of them just went everywhere. I had to come down out of my stand and run all the way (up hill) back to camp to get more arrows out of my car. By the time I made the quarter mile trek I was caughing, gagging, and barely could breath but recovered enough to get back to the buck and finish him off.
Believe it or not, he did get away for a short period even after I had field dressed him. We put him in the back of my buddies truck because my 74 Mercury Cougar with velour interior, moon roof, vanity mirrow, and all the other things I thought a female would like was just too nice to put a bloody deer in. Did you read that Ta-ton-ka???:bounce:
Anyway, we headed for the local cooler with the tailgate down and didn't realize the deer had slid out and landed on the highway a mile from the cooler until we got to the cooler. My buddy did a slinging gravel donut and we got to the buck just as two other hunters were dragging it outof the road. They could tell by the way we came up on them it must have been our buck and said they were getting it out of the road for us. Maybe they were, but their tailgate was down too.:bounce:

fflintlock

Excitement does that kinda of stuff to ya, don't it ?
My brother n law, upon his first deer kill, thought he had to stab it in the neck a dozen times, to bleed it out. It looked like hamburger by the time he got it back to camp, LOL!!
On another hunt, up in Pa. my ole hunt'n partner's son was drag'n a doe down the mountain, in the snow and it started to get away from him, took him right off his feet. He wound up on top of the deer like he was on a run a way sled. The road, where the truck was parked, was cut down in about 8 feet from the side of the ridge he was on. He was airborne over the road about 40 yards or so up ahead of the truck. Over shot the road and landed with a loud crash in a stream about 20 yards below the road down in a gully. Funniest thing I ever saw. That one is laughed about , I mean talked about, to this day, man what a site !!
That sounds like a good subject for a new thread,
"dumbest" or "funniest" things, that happened to me while hunting. Wow, I should've saved that last story for a new thread. ;)
Jerald