Old buck I shot

Ihunt

The photo of him at the feeder is from 2019. In that photo, you can see he is mature. I was able to shoot him this past November.

While I knew he was old, I wasn’t sure how old so I sent his lower incisors in to a deer lab to have the “growth” rings counted. Their results say he was 6.5

I’m not sure how accurate this is but I assumed it would be more accurate than molar wear.

Pretty sure he is the oldest deer I have ever killed.

Attachments

• 652D8035-7439-4B96-89FE-D0AE012321D6.jpeg
    652D8035-7439-4B96-89FE-D0AE012321D6.jpeg
    365.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 2D3823E0-894B-438D-98D1-975F4E4EAAE1.jpeg
    2D3823E0-894B-438D-98D1-975F4E4EAAE1.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 181

DSGB

Yep, he was a heavyweight! Got any pictures of the jawbone?

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Pretty awesome to have a history with an old one with the story ending in your favor. I chased my biggest ga buck for for 3 yrs. Killed him when he was 6.5. Really was a bittersweet moment.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Congrats Ihunt! He’s a big ole deer! Did you get any photos of him this past year before you stuck him?

Ray357

AWOL
The photo of him at the feeder is from 2019. In that photo, you can see he is mature. I was able to shoot him this past November.

While I knew he was old, I wasn’t sure how old so I sent his lower incisors in to a deer lab to have the “growth” rings counted. Their results say he was 6.5

I’m not sure how accurate this is but I assumed it would be more accurate than molar wear.

Pretty sure he is the oldest deer I have ever killed.
How old is he? I am not great at aging, but I would guess him to be mature, but not old.
He big bodied for shore. Nice shooter.

Ihunt

How old is he? I am not great at aging, but I would guess him to be mature, but not old.
He big bodied for shore. Nice shooter.

6.5 according to the deer lab

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Having aged over 100 bucks, 1980's, and having them confirmed to be as accurate as possible. I would say, without seeing that bucks teeth, he could very well have been 6.5 to 7.5 years old. When deer hunting, nothing I like better than to be able to hunt old bucks we have several years of photo's of. Don't always get them, somebody probably does, across the property line or they die on a highway or of old age.
Photo of one I wanted, but never got. We had photo's of him for several years before he disappeared. First photo's gotten, he was well over 200 pounds, absolutely huge with a huge swelled neck. Nobody in our group ever laid eyes on him.

Attachments

• crazyhorn1.jpg
    crazyhorn1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts