Old English Praying

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have listened to a lot of preachers and people praying at church and other functions, and a lot of these southern born and bred good Christian folk, when they are praying out loud, pray by speaking in old English words. Something like

Oh God, we beseech thee, that thou mayest grant our humble request.

I wonder if folk think that God only understands Old English, or that it is somehow more holy or reverent to speak that way? Maybe it is just something they grew up hearing and has become habit.

I don't think there is anything wrong with praying that way if one desires, I just wondered why folk do that. Personally, I feel like God wants a relationship with me, and I speak to Him just like I do to my Dad, my mom or my wife. My prayers go something like..

God, thanks for this beautiful day. I am grateful that I get to see it and everything you have made. Would you, please, guide me today and let me make wise decisions that honor You. I want to be the servant you desire, and I need Your direction today. Protect us from the pitfalls that would cause us to stumble or not honor You.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I guess I speak southern when I’m talking to Jesus. Don’t know anything else!

Me either. If God can understand Chinese and Japanese, surely He can understand north Georgia country bumpkin too

buckpasser

My Grandfather often prayed in old English. I think it was a result of his spiritual life and growth through studying through the KJV of the Bible thirty some times.

It didn’t seem odd or scripted to hear him pray that way and use words like “thee”. I don’t pray that way, but I also don’t strictly use the KJV. He was passionate in his prayers and I’m certain he did not do it to impress me or any other human being. Can’t say how others might feel about it.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
My Grandfather often prayed in old English. I think it was a result of his spiritual life and growth through studying through the KJV of the Bible thirty some times.

It didn’t seem odd or scripted to hear him pray that way and use words like “thee”. I don’t pray that way, but I also don’t strictly use the KJV. He was passionate in his prayers and I’m certain he did not do it to impress me or any other human being. Can’t say how others might feel about it.

I bet the KJV did have a lot of influence on the way people pray. After all, when they read or the preacher read scripture, it was in Old English. All the 'Holy Talk' was spoken that way, so it makes some sense that they would pray that way

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
It’s part of the church traditions we spoke of in another thread. Passed down through thousands of years. We do it in my church.

From communion….

ALMIGHTY Lord, and everlasting God, vouchsafe, we beseech thee, to direct, sanctify, and govern, both our hearts and bodies, in the ways of thy laws, and in the works of thy commandments; that, through thy most mighty protection, both here and ever, we may be preserved in body and soul; through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
It’s part of the church traditions we spoke of in another thread. Passed down through thousands of years. We do it in my church.

Do you consider it more proper to pray in that language than to pray in modern English? or would someone praying in modern terms be frowned upon in your church?

I heard a young teen praying once, and he said something like, 'God, you are the OG of all time.' I had to look that up, and still don't understand calling God the 'Original Gangster' lol I believe most teens see that term as more like the originator or the most awesome at something.... at least I think that is what he was trying to say. I am sure God understood

I don't think either way is more preferable really. Like you say, it is probably more habit or tradition.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Do you consider it more proper to pray in that language than to pray in modern English? or would someone praying in modern terms be frowned upon in your church?

I heard a young teen praying once, and he said something like, 'God, you are the OG of all time.' I had to look that up, and still don't understand calling God the 'Original Gangster' lol I believe most teens see that term as more like the originator or the most awesome at something.... at least I think that is what he was trying to say. I am sure God understood

I don't think either way is more preferable really. Like you say, it is probably more habit or tradition.

I think the best way I can answer is that traditions rooted in scripture are meant to provide structure that facilitates Christian growth. Those are public prayers in church, there’s no Old English in my silent personal prayers.

If I go to morning prayers the Prayer of confession said aloud is this.

ALMIGHTY and most merciful Father; We have erred,
and strayed from thy ways like lost sheep. We have followed too much the devices and desires of our own hearts. We have offended against thy holy laws. We have left undone those things which we ought to have done; And we have done those things which we ought not to have done; And there is no health in us. But thou, O Lord, have mercy upon us, miserable offenders. Spare thou those, O God, who confess their faults. Restore thou those who are penitent; According to thy promises declared unto mankind In Christ Jesus our Lord. And grant, O most merciful Father, for his sake; That we may hereafter live a godly, righteous, and sober life, To the glory of thy holy Name. Amen.

jrickman

I’m fairly certain it is the influence of the KJV. Even people who speak English as a second language do it. I’m probably a mix of that old formality and just plain talk, myself. I do think it is important to distinguish between leading a group in prayer and just praying out loud.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Multiple churches have a text with their common services and associated prayers. These were written hundreds of years ago and in the language of the period.

RegularJoe

Regarding in church, out loud group prayer,
my 2 cents is that
if one senses his / her communication is equal to him / her whether using old english or modern usa english,
then there is an evangelical advantage to using modern usa english.
The advantage is that the unbeliever within ear shot hears more readily that which is being expressed and may thus more readily pick up on being prompted by the Holy Spirit to come to The Lord.

buckpasser

Regarding in church, out loud group prayer,
my 2 cents is that
if one senses his / her communication is equal to him / her whether using old english or modern usa english,
then there is an evangelical advantage to using modern usa english.
The advantage is that the unbeliever within ear shot hears more readily that which is being expressed and may thus more readily pick up on being prompted by the Holy Spirit to come to The Lord.

Good point. The advantage is paper thin if real though. One could argue that someone may be drawn in to the curious and unusual event of hearing someone attempt to speak in old English.

gordon 2

Old English Praying is possibly not only an individual style, but also perhaps part of our need to express ourselves in spiritual context within an understood and definite historical tradition-- even when we pray.

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I talk to God in plain speech. Which reminds me...

Mornin' Lord, RR here..

I appreciate another day of you looking after me and mine.

Amen.

Same here on a personal level.

After the reformation churches rewrote the traditional services to include reformed principles. These books of prayer were first written in the mid 1500s in the language of the period. This standardized services through out the churches to include the reformation beliefs. Formal services and associated prayers such as communion, marriage and baptism still have this language by tradition.

On a personal level I sound like Railroader.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Here's a reference to a Book of Common Prayer which revised the traditional Catholic services to protestant principles. Its been updated over the years to make the language more understandable but retains the Old English style. Just as many churches provide hymnals there are books of Common Prayer provided. That way new comers can follow along.

Our sermons are delivered in contemporary language, keeps the message easy to understand.

front_matter.indd (anglican.org)

Madman

Language is similar to dress in so much that it should elevate the participants.

I don't know of anyone who believes God only hears prayers spoken in "old English" anymore than they believe one must wear a suit and tie to worship.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Language is similar to dress in so much that it should elevate the participants.

I don't know of anyone who believes God only hears prayers spoken in "old English" anymore than they believe one must wear a suit and tie to worship.

I don't either, yet we have all kinds of churches that have certain dress for the leaders of the service. Collars, robes, hats, certain articles they are to carry and use in a specific way. All kinds of rituals and dress.

Does that elevate the participants, and is that really what true worship should do?

Here's a reference to a Book of Common Prayer which revised the traditional Catholic services to protestant principles. Its been updated over the years to make the language more understandable but retains the Old English style. Just as many churches provide hymnals there are books of Common Prayer provided. That way new comers can follow along.

Our sermons are delivered in contemporary language, keeps the message easy to understand.

front_matter.indd (anglican.org)

I haven't read any prayer books in my life. That is not what I was exposed to as a child, nor as an adult. While having a written prayer for everyone to read and be 'on the same page' is ok, I wonder if it is more for the benefit of organizing the service than having a meaningful encounter with God.

I am thinking of some of the more liberal churches out there that may be using those tools, and the scripture, ' having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof ' may describe some of those sects. I am not trying to belittle anyone's beliefs or style of worship here, I am just concerned about what I see as a trend for some churches to become more of a social club, rather than an instrument to teach and reach believers.

On the other hand, I see a lot of evangelical church going to the other extreme with light shows, smoke generators and such, that looks like it is there to entertain for an hour or so, rather than point to Christ. I guess those things to, are ok, as long as they are used as tools to interest people in learning more about Christ.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Very true, the amount of old english used was a topic openly discussed and the membership opted for the traditional old english language.

Madman

I don't either, yet we have all kinds of churches that have certain dress for the leaders of the service. Collars, robes, hats, certain articles they are to carry and use in a specific way. All kinds of rituals and dress.
I am not certain all about protestant clergy vestments, but I do know that Catholic vestments direct the congregation's attention toward Christ, Holy Scripture, God, etc., just as the church configuration, windows, does also.

Does that elevate the participants, and is that really what true worship should do?
Yes it should. When one attends worship they should expect to be meeting God in that place for corporate worship.

I have heard it said by some that God does not care how you present yourself to him as long as you are there. I have yet to find that theology in Holy Scripture, and I believe God deserves better.

Biblically God says; Exodus 19:10 And the Lord said to Moses, “Go to the people and consecrate them today and tomorrow. Have them wash their clothes 11 and be ready by the third day, because on that day the Lord will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people.

My maternal grandfather used to say; "God gives you his very best 365 days a year, the least you can do is put on your very best once a week when you go to meet him in worship".

I could not care less how people dress, or clergy dress, or how any of them speak, I know I go to mass to corporately worship the creator of the universe, he will get my best dress, my best language, my best all, because he provided it to me for that purpose.