Old Lantern

longbowdave1

Mighty nice of you to gift it , I bet it will hang proud for a long time . I really like the wooden flag on the front of the building . Good to see u around
Thanks Ant. I'm going to night to see where they hung the lantern and the little lantern holder I welded up for it.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That is a neat use for an old lantern. I still have a couple in the barn in wooden storage boxes that my dad made for them back in the day. I hope I don't need them but they are there along with a supply of gas and kerosne for the old lamps inside the house.

longbowdave1

I think there's still not of the old lanterns tucked away somewhere. If I see any at yard sales and such, I will pick them up.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
I bought a plastic carry case for a lantern once at Goodwill for $5. When I got home and opened it there was a brand new lantern in it. Those pump up lanterns bring back memories of frustration and frozen fingers when we played football on Friday night then rushed to set up camp in the dark before opening day. Adult beverages were in play. Remember the drinking age was 18 back then.

Redbow

I still have an old coleman lantern just like that one and a small gas stove that you pump up to use. I might see what I can do with my old coleman. I won't ever use it any more so it would be a good project to electrify the thing.

Hillbilly stalker

Shes gotta home by the outdoor band shell and bar.View attachment 1100889
That's awesome. And it keeps the flag lit too ! (y) Alot of people don't know you supposed to take it down if its not well lit. We used to use them old Coleman pump up lanterns at night fishing. People told us you could burn "white gas" in them.....meaning Amoco unleaded. I cant tell you how many times Ive had my eyebrows singed on the river bank and kicked the thing in the water for it. Drinking and fishing :biggrin2:

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
That's awesome. And it keeps the flag lit too ! (y) Alot of people don't know you supposed to take it down if its not well lit. We used to use them old Coleman pump up lanterns at night fishing. People told us you could burn "white gas" in them.....meaning Amoco unleaded. I cant tell you how many times Ive had my eyebrows singed on the river bank and kicked the thing in the water for it. Drinking and fishing :biggrin2:
Drinking while fishing? Well I do know

sbroadwell

I rebuilt my 40+ year old stove & lantern several months ago, it’s great that you can get Coleman parts for these still.

I still use only "white gas" as we used to call it lanterns and stoves. Have three lanterns. One from 1968 (my first) one from about 1980, and a Northstar from about 1990. The old 1968 is made a whole lot better than the later ones. Ove the years, you can track cheaper construction, and more plastic.
I rebuilt the oldest one a couple of years ago. There's a Coleman Collectors website, where you can get info, and even parts.
I really do hate to see the old lanterns electrified.

Heartstarter

I’ve been collecting old Coleman lanterns and stoves for 10 yrs now. I have over 100 lanterns, the oldest was made in 1914 and it it took about 20 minutes to get it purring like a kitten. There are parts available for these old guys and they are a lot of fun to work on. I love hearing them roar.