Old Reliable

Hillbilly stalker

How many of y'all recognize this turkey call ? Anybody still running one ? I've killed several older birds with it over the years. I hunt 95% WMA. When the birds have heard everything on Wal Mart & Bass pro's shelf.......I break her out. I've had it for 20 years or better. If you know what it is, just acknowledge it, dont give it away. You Florida boys ought to know it.image.jpeg

Gator89

I have something close to that, mine is homemade and close to 100 years old.

I would walk to my great uncle's house after ball practice or any after school activity until my mother got off work at the post office a couple of blocks down the street. An elderly couple lived next door to my uncle back in the 1970's. The gentleman neighbor had an old turkey call he had picked up somewhere, even though he was not a hunter. He said way back in the past another neighbor had turkeys and he would use the call to make the turkeys come over to his yard so he could watch their owner shoo them back home.

Anyway when Mr. Powell passed away, Ms. Powell gave me that old turkey call, I was only 12 or 13 at the time, but I still have that old call, the box and the original striker.

I need to post some pictures.

Last edited:

turkeykirk

Like those Gaskins calls.

SCPO

How many of y'all recognize this turkey call ? Anybody still running one ? I've killed several older birds with it over the years. I hunt 95% WMA. When the birds have heard everything on Wal Mart & Bass pro's shelf.......I break her out. I've had it for 20 years or better. If you know what it is, just acknowledge it, dont give it away. You Florida boys ought to know it.View attachment 1012179
Tom Gaskin First call I bought. He lived in Florida. Still got it

Hillbilly stalker

I believe I read where Mr. Gaskins hunted mostly Osceola's, but I promise you it's death to an Eastern bird too. You can really put the mini-skirt on if you hold your mouth right. They sound a lot better than on this old video.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
All you had to do back then was to put $5 in an envelope, put your return address on it, and put, Tom Gaskins, Palmdale, Florida, 33944, and you`d soon get a scratch box from him.

No street address, no nothing.

fullstrut

Love those older calls. Just a different sound to me. Thanks for sharing

KentuckyHeadhunter

Nobody knows for sure if Gaskins or Herters came up with that style of "plantation call" first. It happened around the same time in the 40s. Others have copied it for historical reasons. I've played better scratchboxes but they are "neat".

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
That’s good stuff! Thanks for sharing that video......man I wish I’d been turkey hunting when I was young! I grew up in Bradenton Florida and we’d hog hunt in Arcadia...... And anywhere else we found sign

cracker4112

I've got a couple of them, one has helped a lot of Osceolas die. The other is almost brand new and I've put it away just in case...

saltysenior

Nobody knows for sure if Gaskins or Herters came up with that style of "plantation call" first. It happened around the same time in the 40s. Others have copied it for historical reasons. I've played better scratchboxes but they are "neat".
I believe Gaskins made the calls Herters sold ...my ancient one ,tuned by old Tom himself and used for years still is the best of 3 newer one I have

Darkhorse

I had one gifted to me when I was much younger and living in Florida. I gave it to my son. I'm still kicking myself over that one.

Hillbilly stalker

You can still buy them from different turkey call sights. I've been told the older ones sound better, but our memory is a tricky thing. There's something about the name & address on them that those in the know can tell the difference in them.

Just discovered this post yesterday. I agree with much that has been said about the Tom Gaskins call.
My first call in 1972, arrived in the mail from Palmdale FL ( before Zip Codes) after requesting a price list. Tom’s note thanked me for my interest and said I could drop him $5 in return mail. I long for those old days! Another time, I inquired about strikers: Tom sent me a custom, three sided striker with pencil instructions on each side. All at no charge, I might add.
There is something special about the tone of vintage Gaskins calls.
I believe it has something to do with the density of the cedar wood and the curvature of the grain turning up on the tone board. The newer calls rarely have this quality.
After 50 years of successfully hunting Eastern wild turkeys, I wouldn’t want to leave home without my original vintage Gaskins call!

six

Ive been guilty of using one myself from time to time over the last 50 plus years. Growing up in South Florida using one was a given, almost expected

A few years ago an older turkey hunting friend of mine passed away. His Wife decided to move back to Florida and I was helping her pack and make the move. On Mr. C's dresser was his Gaskins call with orange tape on it so it would be easy for him to see in the leaves. And beside it was four hevishot 12 ga. shells. Season was only a couple weeks away and he was getting ready. Mrs. C asked me if I wanted them, and I told her more than you can imagine. Long story short I went four for four with those shells and Mr. C's call. The last shell, the call and a feather from that last bird is now in my curio. I've never been much on material possessions, most mean nothing to me. If my house caught fire I could grab a bucket and get my most valuable possesions out in a couple minutes. These three items would be in that bucket. The call is retired now, but will occasionally see action.
50291947176_d26f83aed3.jpg

specialk

Hadnt used mine in some time, pulled it out when i read this thread...still got my chalk that came with it...20220519_055143.jpg