Old Trail Cameras

lildorris00

Anybody have a good idea on what to do with old cameras once they bite the dust? So far my thoughts are target practice or just trash. Thought I would ask.

Blackston

Anybody have a good idea on what to do with old cameras once they bite the dust? So far my thoughts are target practice or just trash. Thought I would ask.
The boy has a few in his toy box he loves em

rosewood

BPS sometimes gives you trade in value for old cams on new ones. Not sure it is really a deal or just a gimmick though.

But it would be good to put out as decoy cams if you are trying to catch someone stealing things.

Rosewood

whitter

BANNED
Gap53, nailed it, use them to deploy high up another tree (clime on 4 wheeler works) and have them simulate watching the new replacement cam you just put out. I also have a couple watching the doors to my equipment shed where I had several pieces of lawn equipment mysteriously vanish. A friend has one on his front porch pole watching the area where UPS and FedX drops off packages that were previously taken by the new porch bandits that follow those drop off folks and take what they just dropped off. In that case you would want to make it very visible to the unwanted visitor so he will not make off with the goods. One bad situation that has surfaced in my area is the new porch robbers wearing the required covid mask and also have a hoodie on and they appear to have no fear of the "Ring" door bell or other security devices that are being used. In that case you may want to use an old camera to watch the street for the vehicle being used and when they arrive and see the cam they will probably leave.

rosewood

Criminals love the Covid mask.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I also agree with others that have made comments above.

Back a few years ago, I had a member here contact me about the constant trespassing that was frequently occurring on their property. We discussed how I had previously handled a similar situation in my area. Over the past 10 years or so, it was no secret that I have been a trail camera guru (NOT any cell-cam use) of sorts. It took me 4 years after my wife died before I even wanted to get back in the woods again after a 10 year hiatus. I decided to do things right as I began to catalog every detail of every camera that I had put into service including the number of photos that had been taken on each camera and I knew the exact battery life on each set of batteries as well. These cameras were all WGI cameras and as of the end of 2020, I had accumulated a little over 1,400,000 photos on my cameras. Over these past years, I have enjoyed sharing some of the very best trailcam photos with lots of you here also. I still haven't found that elusive mountain lion/cougar/ bear, or an elephant...yet !!!

Since I have purchased a total of 95 trail cameras over the years, I had several that have "bitten the dust" over the years and I was able to give this person about 6-8 "dummy cams" as I call them so that they could set them up in the right locations to deter the ongoing trespassing problem that they were having then.

The good news is that it worked great as this other member here had been forced to contact the law enforcement and game wardens etc in trying to stop this trespassing problem on their property. The last information that I got from this member was that it worked great and these die-hard trespassers got the message loud and clear and they quit trying their trespassing techniques. I was very glad to help this person in this way.

ps: There is also a very simple way to attach a "fake" antenna onto the original style trail cameras that makes them look like the real type that is used on cellular cameras. The possible fact that it might be a cellular camera just might make that person think twice about trespassing and/or stealing your cameras also.

Last edited: