Old tree stands

hambone76

I often come across old tree stands while in the woods and wonder who built them and what they shot or saw from them. This one is probably 30 feet up in this tree. They even pulled a small couch up there.
Share some pictures if you have them.

2013-03-08122900_zps96474110.jpg

2013-03-08122942_zps60399ac2.jpg

Last edited:
That's a crazy stand.

Funny that you mention this, I found an old stand burning woods on a forgotten corner of woods on my Dad's place. Made me wonder the same things. I always wonder how many animals have wandered past in the years since anyone sat there.

HM

hambone76

I have seen alot of old stands on Paulding Forest that are likely from the "Sportsman Club" days. I really check over an area for sign when I do find an old stand there. They usually took the time to build them there for a reason.
That stand in the picture is not on Paulding Forest. It is probably for the best that somebody removed the first section of the ladder.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
i used to see a lot of those over the years before i had a camera phone. now we know why public areas require safety harness. those rednecks in the 70's an 80's were a fearless bunch that's for sure. when i go past about 25 ft my body quits on me lol. thats a good looking perch though. i bet some deer got kilt under that thing

Dr. Strangelove

i used to see a lot of those over the years before i had a camera phone. now we know why public areas require safety harness. those rednecks in the 70's an 80's were a fearless bunch that's for sure. when i go past about 25 ft my body quits on me lol. thats a good looking perch though. i bet some deer got kilt under that thing

Never hunted out of one quite like the OP's pic, but did hunt out of some sketchy stands in the late 80's. Random lengths of 2x4's nailed directly into trees as a "ladder" up to a shaky 2x4 platform with no sides.

These days I'm mighty particular about any stand I hunt out of, and do most of it off the ground.

Son

As one ages, can't trust those old joints and back anymore. It pays to be mighty careful.
Ladderstands made of metal, even the bought ones, will rust from the inside, out. We've had em fold up, steps break, legs bend etc.. Hunting from blinds has become more popular with me lately.
And, yes, i see lots of old rickidy remains of stands still hanging on in trees. Where once some dare devil took the chance of his life while hunting deer. I've seen chairs nailed to trees, and once, a school bus seat up a tree. Ya gotta wonder, did these people ever go to school?

deadend

I have seen alot of old stands on Paulding Forest that are likely from the "Sportsman Club" days. I really check over an area for sign when I do find an old stand there. They usually took the time to build them there for a reason.
That stand in the picture is not on Paulding Forest. It is probably for the best that somebody removed the first section of the ladder.

A few of those "Sportsman Club" era stands are mine.:p

hambone76

The craziest one that I have seen so far is a 55 gallon steel drum nailed to the side of a tree trunk. No supports or reinforcements. It had a section notched out of the front to provide a better view.
It is on Paulding Forest around the Flemister Circle and Buchanan Hwy area.
I've never even considered hunting from any of the stands I've found. I value my life too much and most of them are obviously rotted.

7Mag Hunter

That stand in the picture is not on Paulding Forest. It is probably for the best that somebody removed the first section of the ladder.[/QUO

After "Sportsmans Club" days, guys would build wood
stands on PF......Years back, I hunted alot of them....
I used to take a hammer and nails to repair any of them
that needed a bit of work to make safe......Even toted in
the odd 2x4 to patch em up........

This was 25 yrs ago when the WMA was wide open year
round and before they gated any roads,,,,,:yeah:

7MAGMIKE

The craziest one that I have seen so far is a 55 gallon steel drum nailed to the side of a tree trunk. No supports or reinforcements. It had a section notched out of the front to provide a better view.
I've never even considered hunting from any of the stands I've found. I value my life too much and most of them are obviously rotted.

Seems like I remember a 55 gal drum stand from years back out there. Makes ya wonder...

7MAGMIKE

I hunted an old box stand about 40 ft up in a three tree cluster with 12" spikes to reach it in the 90's, you could not get me in that thing now. I've found I am breakable and do not repair easily. No risky stands anymore for me. When you are young you feel bullet proof.

buckeroo

I too ask myself this same question when I see old stands. I love to stop and think of all the animals that were seen out of the location. A lot of times old stands can give you a shortcut to scouting when on a new piece of land. Our property had an old ladder stand that had all but rotted down and the spot it is in is one of the best spots on our place.

Rich Kaminski

We had somebody who built a double condo type stand way up in a hugh tree. I went up it once with their permission just to see the view. It was a little scary.

jrmmh1215

I will have to admit that is my dad's famous style of stands. He was part of the sportsman era. I can remember when i was 10 he took a blue plastic 55 gal drum and was tempting to build me one to screw to the side of an oak about 25 feet up.
I refused to ever consider getting in it and eventually talked him into building me a platform stand out of 2x6. it had no rails and i used one of the old plastic tree seats that strapped around the tree for a chair i thought it was pretty awesome at the time, but looking back you couldn't pay me to get in it now. lol
But the worse i have ever seen was a platform stand that was about 20 feet up about an 6" sour wood it went up to a single split and the platform was roughly 3' squared it had to just about touch the ground when someone got in it

hambone76

jrmmh1215.....Does your Father live in Paulding County?
Also- the infamous Seat-a-tree....I had one of those. The angle never would work out just right and it was so slick I felt as if Id slide right off of the thing when I sat in it.

Bill Mc

Back in the 60's while hunting a middle Georgia WMA, I climbed into an old tree stand made of tree limbs. I felt very unsafe but did see a few deer. :hair::hair:

You would think that once would be enough but in another club I found another old stand and hunted it twice. No No:

But I also used my Baker stand for many years.

Now I'm much older and somewhat wiser.:)

jrmmh1215

jrmmh1215.....Does your Father live in Paulding County?
Also- the infamous Seat-a-tree....I had one of those. The angle never would work out just right and it was so slick I felt as if Id slide right off of the thing when I sat in it.

Not anymore we reside in Gilmer county now. As for the tree seat it took getting use to thats for sure I never killed anything from that stand, I have always figured it was because i couldnt set still long enough because I kept slipping out of the seat. lol

lastofthebreed

I love hunting out of odd looking stands, or stands made out of unusual stuff. I made a skirt out of a camo tarp using an old hula hoop. Folded it up and carried it in the woods with me. I threw a length of para cord over a limb and pulled the hula hoop up until the bottom of the tarp just touched the ground. A dove stool made a comfortable seat inside and I killed several deer out of that thing. Hmmmm! Maybe it's time to make another.