Older guys can still hunt alone.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Glad to hear so many of you are up and at it. I have hunted alone for nearly five decades. I absolutely love to get out and walk, especially where there is no motorized use. My family was apprehensive about me out there alone after a blown heart gasket a couple years ago. I hunt with my family a bit more now but still value solo hikes and hunts and if I tip over out there doing what I love...... I guess there are worse ways... Keep after it, no matter how you have to do it.

No doubt our outside hobbies are therapeutic. For me, I’ve really got to get past climbing that first steep hill. You know, the one that makes your chest pound, makes you catch your breath and hope you don’t have a heart attack. Yeah that one! the rest of the day seems easier......a little anyway.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
No doubt our outside hobbies are therapeutic. For me, I’ve really got to get past climbing that first steep hill. You know, the one that makes your chest pound, makes you catch your breath and hope you don’t have a heart attack. Yeah that one! the rest of the day seems easier......a little anyway.

You surely found the "right word" in your description. My time being spent in the woods with all of the other critters is the most THERAPEUTIC way for me to spend time in the woods. I always try to move really slowly and more in a "stealth mode" around my property and try not to miss anything at all. This just makes any problems that I might be having or thinking about just disappear and I am totally relaxed. It is so enjoyable when I can take in every bit of nature and I do it at my pace.

Just enjoying the outdoors is the very best medicine on the planet for me. :cheers:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
My group don't lift or drag much. Photo's show how we deal with getting em to the truck.

Attachments

• bucket full.jpg
    bucket full.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 61
  • draging.jpg
    draging.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 63
  • loaded.jpg
    loaded.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 63
  • pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 63

lonewolf247

Looks like a great plan to me! I hunt alone a lot too. I have struggled at times to get a deer loaded, and have thought about getting a sled, and put a hoist system, near my most popular stand, at least.

A few years back, I shot ~a 200lb buck, and I couldn't get him loaded on my atv. I had to drive back to my truck, hitch the trailer, from my truck to the atv, and pull the trailer, all the way near the stand, and drag the deer on the trailer.

I then went back, to the truck, drug the deer from the trailer, into the bed of the truck. Then, I unhitched the trailer, from the atv, and connected to the truck. Loaded my atv on it, then back to the house.

We do what we have to do at times, lol!

Great buck BTW!

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have this, can hitch to the truck or the golf cart, or even a four wheeler. But it's not always anywhere near when a deer or hog is down. I carry a small hoist in the truck, and a come a long. The trailer I haul the cart on has a ramp tail gate, easy to drag game onto it.

Attachments

• nine.jpg
    nine.jpg
    618.3 KB · Views: 29

Darkhorse

The best way (for me) is to drag a deer or hog behind my ATV to the truck and then drag it up the ramp and into the trailer.
I no longer try to load one onto the ATV or into the truck bed if possible.
Now if the ATV isn't running then things get a little more difficult.
SS850011.jpg

Gbr5pb

Broke my atv doing food plots and had to wait 3 weeks for the ranger I ordered to come in! Really made me appreciate having something to get my deer out and a winch to hang them!

Wayne D Davis

Glad to be back in the saddle. Dating got the best of me and my hunting. Anyhow I saved enough this past year/ valentines day due to break up to aquire a lease on the north side of Beaver Dam.... it is on this year

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Dragging is out for me, too darn old and wore out for such labor.
340 pound bar

Attachments

• BigBar3.jpg
    BigBar3.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
No dragging without help. I call for help, they drag em up the ranp on the trailer or load on atvs. One thing we learned a few years back. If you have to leave a deer for more than five minutes, better hang a shirt or jacket on a bush next to it. If not, you may come back to a mess, coyotes have learned to key in on shots.

Attachments

• IMG_20190103_114750086.jpg
    IMG_20190103_114750086.jpg
    853.9 KB · Views: 15

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'll even call for help and a tractor. My Kubota can get em out, and load em too.

Attachments

• bit the dust Sept 19.jpg
    bit the dust Sept 19.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 16

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
That ol hog had some teeth

Attachments

• BigBar4.jpg
    BigBar4.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 9

Son