Older guys can still hunt alone.

Havana Dude

At 55, and seeing the age of some of you fellas, I can’t make the old man claim. Like most I’m sure, I’ve eeked out a living with my back since I was 15. I’m paying for it now, and probably forever. I have a small kubota tractor to do my lifting for me now, and I use the 4 wheeler to drag deer out. I used to grab em by the legs and sling em up on the back rack. No more of that. Hind sight is 20/20, I sure wish I had taken better care of the old back.

SCPO

79 will be 80 in 5 months. Hunt alone a lot since hunting buddy is getting old. I sometimes hunt out of a Amacher climber. I don't leave ground until I put safety strap around tree. Don't go as high as I did when I was young and stupid. Most of time I hunt out of my 12 and 16 ft ladder stand. Last year I went to eat
breakfast at local choke and puk and got in ladder stand at 8:30. Think I might have dozed off but looked up at 10 and a nice 8 pt was walking by. First deer I have taken in 10 years. Passed up a lot before that. Usually I was hunting by myslf. Have to ride my 4 wheeler close to stand due to bad back.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Well, we can still hunt alone but I got a call this morning from one of my hunting buddies who asked if I could come and help him load out a pretty good buck that he had just shot down on the power line. That thing about whipped both of us and he was already dead.

Triple C

Hunted alone this morn. Way back in the bottoms amongst river cane and beaver sloughs. Had Black Widow recurve in one hand and .45 ACP on my hip just in case I encountered a rogue boar on the way in. Glorious sit this morning all alone. Saw several deer. Had a lone doe meander right under my stand nipping on browse as she went. Ain't God good!!!

All that said...I'd much rather have company when hunting at my age. And most days I do.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Well, we can still hunt alone but I got a call this morning from one of my hunting buddies who asked if I could come and help him load out a pretty good buck that he had just shot down on the power line. That thing about whipped both of us and he was already dead.

Thaw out some of that old cash and buy yourself that shiny new tractor with a front end loader.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Short on cash but got one of them tractors but it ain't shiney or new. I would still have to go "help" but that's what hunting buddies are for. One day I might have to call the favors in.

marlin

Not as old as a lot of y’all I know. I turned 62 this year and hunt by myself which I prefer to do. I bough a jet sled and a cart to help with getting deer out of the woods. I will get help to drag one out if it’s very far. Back and hips will be sore the next day or two though.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
At 69, I hunt and fish alone regularly. I take a few extra precautions, tell someone the area Im in, carry a few extras in my pack, and carry a walking stick to help me safely get around. I have started hunting from the ground as a safety measure as well. You can bet I’ll be going to the woods and water as long as the good Lord will gives me a way.

Bobby Bigtime

I have my cell and usually a walkie talkie. My family is more comfortable with that. I went deep into a moose and grizzly infested swamp last weekend. I wondered if I was still up for the challenge but I have to do it as long as i can. I did have some apprehensions though.

TJay

This was an absolutely miserable season for me. My back is really jacked up and has been for almost two years. Walking to the stand and climbing was a chore. Went to the Ortho today and they took some Xrays and ordered an MRI and once that is done we'll talk about options. I just hope "options" mean I can get back to some sort of normal. I'll be 68 in a couple of weeks or so and it's not like I got a whole lot of ammo left in the magazine. Hoping for a better year next year!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
This was an absolutely miserable season for me. My back is really jacked up and has been for almost two years. Walking to the stand and climbing was a chore. Went to the Ortho today and they took some Xrays and ordered an MRI and once that is done we'll talk about options. I just hope "options" mean I can get back to some sort of normal. I'll be 68 in a couple of weeks or so and it's not like I got a whole lot of ammo left in the magazine. Hoping for a better year next year!

My lower back has “severe stenosis “ I get the injections as needed from the orthopedic pain doctor, they help. My next step is surgery.
Getting old ain’t for sissies.