One for the fly tyers: Learn to make and use your own custom-blended dubbing 3/31 live on Zoom

Steve Hudson

March 31 (Thursday)
7 p.m. Eastern live on Zoom
Making and Using Your Own Dubbing

Many folks have asked for an encore presentation of our popular workshop on how to make your own custom dubbing, and I'm glad to oblige! This exciting workshop will teach you the tricks you need to know to create uniquely-crafted dubbing blends that'll add a whole new dimension to your fly tying adventure -- and after making some dubbing blends in the first half of the program, we'll put them to use in the second half to create a great fly for spring fishing!

Here's what you'll need to be a part of this exciting workshop:

TO MAKE THE DUBBING:

To make the dubbing, you'll need several raw materials:

1) Yarn in a variety of colors.

2) Something to add some sparkle. Antron or similar yarn is perfect.

3) Super-fine flash. The classic material is a very fine-stranded flash material known as Angelina. It is available online. Alternately, pick up a few packages of Ice Dub from your local fly shop. Be sure you get Ice Dub and NOT one of the Ice Dub blends.

4) Rabbit fur: This very fine fur serves as a binder and is an important part of most dubbing blends. One approach is to trim hair from a scrap of rabbit skin; another is to trim hair from a hare's mask.

A host of other materials can be incorporated into your dubbing making, and we'll talk about a number of them in our workshop. But to get you started, the four noted above will do the job!

TO BLEND THE DUBBING:

First, you'll need a way to cut up the raw materials. For that, you'll want some craft scissors.

There are many ways to blend dubbing, but we'll be taking the simple approach and using two wire-tine cat-grooming brushes. These are the brushes with the short, stiff wire tines. Pick two that are identical or that are roughly the same size. I like the ones that have a button on the back that you can push to make it easy to remove the "brushings" from the brush -- that really helps with the dubbing making process!

Finally, you'll need some small zip-lock plastic bags in which to store the dubbing blends you create.

If you enjoy tying flies, you'll find that making your own dubbing blends adds a whole new dimension to things. I hope you'll be able to join in!

ZOOM Meeting ID: 882 8204 8017
Passcode: Dubbing [with a capital D]

flyrod444

Been blending my own dubbing for 48 years using a cheap electric coffee or spice grinder. They can still be bought for around $20.00.

Steve Hudson

It's great fun to do, and coffee grinders do indeed work well! Look at thrift stores, and you can often find one for just a few dollars. My last one cost me less than a cheeseburger, and it's still going strong!

flyrod444

Yes it is fun and has saved me a lot of money over the years. I use to trap in my youth and saved a few pelts that I still use to get fur from. I bought a tennis racket cover years ago for 50 cents that was made from kangaroo hide. It is one of my favorite furs to use, mixed with a bit of sparkly ice dub. I jokingly call flies tied from it a Down Under Fly.

Steve Hudson

Sad news to share...

To my friends on The Tying Bench and to those who were planning on being part of the dubbing making workshop this evening on Zoom:

We are saddened to let you know that Ann, Steve's wife of 47 years and Kathryn's mom, passed away this morning.

Many of you know that Ann had been struggling with health issues for quite a while. Toward the end, the struggle became more and more difficult, and this morning she passed peacefully about 6:20 a.m.

We will be cancelling The Tying Bench for this week, and we will postpone and reschedule the dubbing making workshop that was scheduled for this evening. Thank you for understanding.

We are so very appreciative of the kind gestures and words of encouragement that you have offered through this trying time.

Thank you, and God bless you.

Latest posts