One more? On trap chain removal

Mike81

So lets say I want to move a trap and I have hammered the chain down in hard red clay. I would imagine it would be difficult at times to pull the chain out of the ground. What do you do?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I use a 4' metal pry bar thru a cable eye and just pull em out.

Some folks use an auger bit on a drill down beside it.

Wolf Fang anchors pull easier than Super Stakes.

I have not set in clay, but I think I could still make my pry bar work...

Doug B.

I drill a 2" hole down beside the cable to just past the Wolf Fang anchor and pull them with a homemade puller I made out of metal fence post. Easy peasy!!!

Mike81

I use a 4' metal pry bar thru a cable eye and just pull em out.

Some folks use an auger bit on a drill down beside it.

Wolf Fang anchors pull easier than Super Stakes.

I have not set in clay, but I think I could still make my pry bar work...
I drill a 2" hole down beside the cable to just past the Wolf Fang anchor and pull them with a homemade puller I made out of metal fence post. Easy peasy!!!
Great idea thanks guys

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I told you if you ask you will receive from this crew . I to use the super stakes with chain in red clay . I guarantee you don’t have to worry about a coyote pulling one up . I made me a puller out of about a 10ft piece of heavy duty steel pipe . Just welded about 6 links of chain with a hook to attach to trap chain. But still have to dig a little with post hole diggers or drill down beside chain

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I told you if you ask you will receive from this crew . I to use the super stakes with chain in red clay . I guarantee you don’t have to worry about a coyote pulling one up . I made me a puller out of about a 10ft piece of heavy duty steel pipe . Just welded about 6 links of chain with a hook to attach to trap chain. But still have to dig a little with post hole diggers or drill down beside chain
This is what I did. Now that I’m old with a bad back if I can ever get to where I can pound a coyote trap stake into the red clay again I’m gonna use cable and just cut it. Cable is cheap compared to doctor bills.
or better yet I’m gonna use a drag. I got a Lacy pup coming she will need a job

buckpasser

I’m with @Throwback. If it’s sandy or moist I’ll go through the trouble. If I’ve managed to wedge one into a tree root, rocks, or dry red clay, it gets the bolt cutter treatment!

fatback

Also, make sure if you are using a stake puller to connect it below your swivel and j hook so you don’t straighten out the j hook when pulling. I’m in south central GA so all my sets are in sandy soil and fairly easy to pull with the puller. I bought mine from Minnesota Brand Trap company. I’m using super stakes so I want them back if at all possible. I’ve never used the wolf fangs or rebar for staking so not sure about those.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I used rebar at times. Not unconvinced that’s part of what messed my back up. Red clay sucks