One off the mountain

Professor

Thanks Prof. Its going to be my big purchase for next year.
Spending big money on a pack was unnatural at first. It was the same for my boots. I spent enough on the pack and boots to buy a new gun. It was a must for hunting out west, however. I bought one and then I understood. Good gear is more important than the gun. Now I own 4 nice hunting packs and still find myself looking for sales or last year's model at a big discount. Someone asked why I needed so many. I told them that as much as I love the packs, I don't want to have to carry a big one out of the wilderness by myself. Even when hunting alone I have another pack behind the seat in my truck, so don't make the mistake of telling me you would love to help out but you do not have a pack. My next big hurdle is the expensive glass. I have Leupold on all my rifles. I grew up with Tasco, so to me, Leupold is high dollar stuff. Not out west. In the Rockies Leupold is the poor man's scope. Consider heading out with 10x42 Swarovski EL binoculars ($1,800), a Swarovski Optik HD-ATS-80 Spotting Scope ($3,000), and Swarovski Z8i 2-16x 50mm rifle scope ($2,800). That was the common setup for the locals when I was in Idaho last spring.

Professor

I'm looking for a new pack for use in the mountains for day trips out to 2 day/2night trips. Quarry is deer/ bear...
What are you working with and how do you like it?
Here is one serious pack that I really want to buy. These are a discontinued model that Mystery Ranch sold out of early in the year. Found that campsaver has them. This is the Mountain Ruck. At $384 it is a steal. This is a special forces pack and the new ones go for $725. I am really craving the one in olive drab because MR rarely sells anything in that color.
opplanet-mystery-ranch-nice-mountain-ruck-bag-olive-drab-medium-110623-316-30-2ei-bp0-mysra04-1-main.jpg

EyesUp83

Here is one serious pack that I really want to buy. These are a discontinued model that Mystery Ranch sold out of early in the year. Found that campsaver has them. This is the Mountain Ruck. At $384 it is a steal. This is a special forces pack and the new ones go for $725. I am really craving the one in olive drab because MR rarely sells anything in that color.

Wow, that thing looks super serious! How many Cubic Inches? I honestly wonder if I wouldnt be just as well off going to REI or such and finding and normal internal framed hiking back.
You really do have a thing for packs! You could probably moderate a page or thread just on packs alone. I'm gonna keep my eyes in surplus and Goodwill stores for a while and see if I can't find somthing in good shape. If not then I'll be looking for new/ new-to-me deal next summer.

Professor

Wow, that thing looks super serious! How many Cubic Inches? I honestly wonder if I wouldnt be just as well off going to REI or such and finding and normal internal framed hiking back.
You really do have a thing for packs! You could probably moderate a page or thread just on packs alone. I'm gonna keep my eyes in surplus and Goodwill stores for a while and see if I can't find somthing in good shape. If not then I'll be looking for new/ new-to-me deal next summer.
This is a huge pack. 6,300 ci I believe and it is compatible with the lid that adds another 1,000. You can find good hiking packs at some bargains. You can find some quality ones used as well. Nothing wrong with that. I would stay away from the ultra-light packs that are so popular now. Those frames will fold up when you put 60 or 70 lbs of meat in one. They also will not be good on your back carrying any more than your cam and essentials. These acks are expensive, but in the end, I think you will be like the rest of us and agree it is worth it.