One Stick Climbing/Saddle hunting

Gbrantley85

Just curious if there were any one stick climbers around, if so what has been your experience with it and what are you using? This will be my second year out of the saddle and first year one sticking. I’m using EWO’s ultimate one stick and a cruzr xc saddle. So far so good, but I’ve only got three climbs with it, getting faster and more comfortable with every climb. I’ll admit I giggled at the concept at first, but it’s like a buddy told me, don’t knock it till you try it. Definitely light and versatile.

I use a full length Hawke Helium stick and a Aero Kestrel Flex saddle. I like the added length to get more height out of each transition up the tree, and the little added weight doesn`t bother me. I don`t always one stick it, but in urban hunting I do it more and more.

Gbrantley85

I use a full length Hawke Helium stick and a Aero Kestrel Flex saddle. I like the added length to get more height out of each transition up the tree, and the little added weight doesn`t bother me. I don`t always one stick it, but in urban hunting I do it more and more.
Are you using a cam cleat with it or versa button? Or something else?

Barron79

I bought a Phantom saddle, ultimate one-stick from eastern outdoors and I’m rappelling down. I haven’t hunted out of it yet. I bought everything at the end of season last year. Been climbing all of off season. I’m ready to hunt. My whole setup is under 7lbs so it’s like a dream for a mountain hunter.

CroMagnum

I bought a Phantom saddle, ultimate one-stick from eastern outdoors and I’m rappelling down. I haven’t hunted out of it yet. I bought everything at the end of season last year. Been climbing all of off season. I’m ready to hunt. My whole setup is under 7lbs so it’s like a dream for a mountain hunter.
Interesting. What are you doing to retrieve your rope once you rappel down? I'm also looking at the Phantom so what are your thoughts?

Barron79

I hook a carabiner with 40’ of dynaglide string behind my knot then when I rappel down just pull the dynaglide to loosen the loop on the tree. If no limbs it will simply fall to the ground. If limbs you just keep pulling and it pulls the rope all the way through and drops. It’s my first saddle so I can’t compare it to any others but I love it. It’s easy to adjust and super light. My stick is where it’s at though. Super lightweight and I had @Dano sew in a 3 step aider so I can go 6’6” every move. Best tool I have bought for hunting in a long time.

Gut_Pile

I hook a carabiner with 40’ of dynaglide string behind my knot then when I rappel down just pull the dynaglide to loosen the loop on the tree. If no limbs it will simply fall to the ground. If limbs you just keep pulling and it pulls the rope all the way through and drops. It’s my first saddle so I can’t compare it to any others but I love it. It’s easy to adjust and super light. My stick is where it’s at though. Super lightweight and I had @Dano sew in a 3 step aider so I can go 6’6” every move. Best tool I have bought for hunting in a long time.

Do you have the top of stick platform on your one stick?

Barron79

Nice. I'm really liking that aider
The sticks are custom made so you can have as many aider steps as you want and at what spacing. I went with 3 steps at 12”. To accommodate thick clothing also you can have the platform slanted or flat. I went slanted to help with the angle. Relieves any stress on your ankles.

Gbrantley85

Have you had any problems with pine tar getting on your rappel line? I was practicing a few days ago and noticed I couldn’t rappel as fast as usual, come to find out I had some pine tar on my line, once I got past that spot it was as it should be. Just blew my mind for a split second until I figured out what was going on. I’ve come to the conclusion that if I’m in a pine, I’ll use a strap for my bow hanger instead of the screw in kind.

Barron79

No and I’ve climbed a few pines. Guess I have been lucky. I will be sure to pay attention to that.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Y’all getting me psyched up….my first year giving the saddle a try and I hope to one stick it one day too!

Mk20rockeye

I bought my cruzr XC towards the end of last season. I used hawk helium’s and they did the job. Now I have the EWO ultimate one stick as well. I have been up a few times and I enjoy the simplicity of it. My confidence goes up with every climb so far. If I hunted on a lease or if 8 had land of my own, I’d stick with more permanent set ups. Since I hunt only public land and archery only, this fills the bill and works great. As for the EWO stick, I love it! Great piece of equipment.

Gl4di4torRr

Just curious if there were any one stick climbers around, if so what has been your experience with it and what are you using? This will be my second year out of the saddle and first year one sticking. I’m using EWO’s ultimate one stick and a cruzr xc saddle. So far so good, but I’ve only got three climbs with it, getting faster and more comfortable with every climb. I’ll admit I giggled at the concept at first, but it’s like a buddy told me, don’t knock it till you try it. Definitely light and versatile.
I tried one sticking but don't really like it. I am too sweaty when I get all setup. I have the cruzr xc, 4 tethrd one sticks and a one step aider.

dang

DANG !!!
I tried one sticking but don't really like it. I am too sweaty when I get all setup. I have the cruzr xc, 4 tethrd one sticks and a one step aider.
I always thought the same thing but I’ve also never tried it. Curious on thoughts from the guys who do it. Just seems like it’s over complicating it to avoid carrying in 3 extra pounds

Gl4di4torRr

I always thought the same thing but I’ve also never tried it. Curious on thoughts from the guys who do it. Just seems like it’s over complicating it to avoid carrying in 3 extra pounds
Yeah, totally. Plenty of videos out there on one sticking and people like it. But 5am on public land 1 mile back when I am solo hunting... No thanks. 3-4 sticks and an aider for the bottom one or two sticks is perfect for me. The tethrd one sticks are only a pound each. Early season, I only need 2-3 sticks anyway.