One Stick Climbing/Saddle hunting

dang

DANG !!!
Yeah, totally. Plenty of videos out there on one sticking and people like it. But 5am on public land 1 mile back when I am solo hunting... No thanks. 3-4 sticks and an aider for the bottom one or two sticks is perfect for me. The tethrd one sticks are only a pound each. Early season, I only need 2-3 sticks anyway.
Yeah, I guess I’d be curious what people find to be the advantage besides saving weight. I carry my stuff in on a nice frame pack, so a few pounds don’t bug me too much. I’ve seen plenty of videos and in most of them the guy demonstrating goes up one or two sticks and goes “you get the idea” and then comes down all outa breath. I suppose you can go about as high as you care to, so that’s one advantage for sure.

Gl4di4torRr

Yeah, I guess I’d be curious what people find to be the advantage besides saving weight. I carry my stuff in on a nice frame pack, so a few pounds don’t bug me too much. I’ve seen plenty of videos and in most of them the guy demonstrating goes up one or two sticks and goes “you get the idea” and then comes down all outa breath. I suppose you can go about as high as you care to, so that’s one advantage for sure.
What pack do you have? I'm using the eberlestock x2 this season.

So after one sticking, I decided if I take 3-4 sticks in but say for some reason I want to hit 30 feet... I can always take my rappel rope and make one or two moves one sticking and then use my other sticks the rest of the way up. But yeah, for me it was too much energy to do it and it made more noise.

dang

DANG !!!
What pack do you have? I'm using the eberlestock x2 this season.

So after one sticking, I decided if I take 3-4 sticks in but say for some reason I want to hit 30 feet... I can always take my rappel rope and make one or two moves one sticking and then use my other sticks the rest of the way up. But yeah, for me it was too much energy to do it and it made more noise.
I’ve got a kuiu icon pro. I’ve got the carbon frame and suspension system and then the different sized bags are interchangeable. I’ve got a big 5200 bag (which I bought for an elk hunt) and then the 1800 size bag for round here huntin. That does make good sense about the extra height. What aider do you run off your one-stick stick?

Gl4di4torRr

I’ve got a kuiu icon pro. I’ve got the carbon frame and suspension system and then the different sized bags are interchangeable. I’ve got a big 5200 bag (which I bought for an elk hunt) and then the 1800 size bag for round here huntin. That does make good sense about the extra height. What aider do you run off your one-stick stick?
Well I sold the stick I was using but I bought a 2 step aider from backwoods mobile gear. Now I have a one step aider that is just tubular webbing from rei.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I have a 1 step aider for my bottom step as well, but am thinking of purchasing a 5 step aider or two. The more I play in the saddle the more I’m enjoying it and tweaking as I go.

Gl4di4torRr

I have a 1 step aider for my bottom step as well, but am thinking of purchasing a 5 step aider or two. The more I play in the saddle the more I’m enjoying it and tweaking as I go.
Instead of a longer aider, I just use a one step aider and move it as I go. I usually only have to use it once or twice.

Stump06

Have you had any problems with pine tar getting on your rappel line? I was practicing a few days ago and noticed I couldn’t rappel as fast as usual, come to find out I had some pine tar on my line, once I got past that spot it was as it should be. Just blew my mind for a split second until I figured out what was going on. I’ve come to the conclusion that if I’m in a pine, I’ll use a strap for my bow hanger instead of the screw in kind.

I use a strap all the time now. Actually doesn't take as long as screwing in a hanger

dang

DANG !!!
Has any of yall ever dropped your climbing stick while 20 foot up a tree? :eek2:
No, but I’m running my sticks buckleless this year, and Saturday morning my top stick had quite a bit of “give” before it settled in and bit. Enough to make me think twice and google search some daisy chain attachment methods ? …I’d imagine the one stick guys could just repel down if they did drop their stick

Hillbilly stalker

30 foot of para cord and a rubberized “S” hook would retrieve it without noise and climbing twice. That’s what I would tote.