Online "Intro to Fly Tying" course next week -- Tuesday, July 27, and Thursday, July 29, at 7 p.m.!

Steve Hudson

Have you ever wanted to explore the fascinating world of tying your own flies? Here's your chance to learn the basics of fly tying in a live two-session online fly tying workshop presented on Zoom!
The course begins Tuesday, July 27 and wraps up on Thursday, July 29. Each session will start at 7 p.m. Eastern and will last about two hours, with the second session picking up where the first session left off. Emphasis will be on learning key tying skills, and by the end of the course you'll be set to begin a lifelong journey through the fascinating world of tying your own flies!
There is no cost to take this course, and all are welcome.
You'll find a list of the materials we'll use, as well as the basic tools you'll need, at the end of this announcement.
Please note that you should plan to attend both sessions in order to get the most from this course.
Here is the Zoom login info for the class. The login will be the same for both sessions:

Dates: July 27 and 29
Time: 7 p.m. (Eastern Daylight Savings Time)
Zoom meeting number: 829 3239 3206
Meeting access code: FlyTying [no spaces, two capital letters]

Please feel free to share this with your fishing club or with others who might be interested in learning to tie flies. All are welcome!

And a request: If you plan to be a part of this class, please drop me a PM and let me know. That will be most helpful in planning. Thank you!
I look forward to exploring the world of fly tying with you!

TYING MATERIALS USED IN THE COURSE:

Hooks
* Size 8 2XL or 3XL (Woolly Bugger-style) hooks
* Size 12 or size 14 nymph or dry fly hook, standard length

Chenille:
* Black standard chenille (not Ultra Chenille)
* Green standard chenille (not Ultra Chenille)
* "Ultra Chenille" (a special bonded type of chenille used to tie San Juan Worms) in red, pink, burgundy, or chartreuse

Yarn:
* Red yarn (blanket-type yarn)
* Pink yarn (blanket-type yarn)

Feathers:
* Black marabou
* Green or olive marabou
* Woolly Bugger hackle feathers (various colors can be used)

Beads:
* Brass fly tying beads (to fit the size 8 Woolly Bugger hook)
* Glass beads (large - red or pink)
* Bead chain (gold or silver color)

Thread:
* Black fly tying thread. I recommend 3/0 thread as you start out because it's stronger and more durable than smaller threads
* Red fly tying thread

Other materials:
* Flash material (silver or pearl)
* Ribbing wire, medium, copper or gold or silver color
* Foam sheet - 2mm, brown or tan or black
* Foam sheet - 2mm, yellow
* Stranded rubber leg material

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED:
1) A tying vise
2) Fly tying scissors
3) A fly tying bobbin (the tool which holds your spool of tying thread)
4) A bobbin threader tool
5) A half hitch tool
8) Head cement: Either some Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails clear nail polish (to use as head cement)...or...some water-based head cement made for fly tying. Sally Hansen's is available at most drugstores; the water-based head cement is available at most fly shops.
9) Optional but recommended if you use Sally Hansens for head cement: A fine-tip bottle for dispensing the head cement

Please reach out if you have any questions, and please pass this along to others who might enjoy learning to tie flies. Thank you!

Steve Hudson

Thank you! We've done this several times over the last year and a half, and it really is a lot of fun -- almost as much fun as hearing stories a few days later about folks landing fish on the flies they tied!

899river

Steve, That is a kind offer. I have not received the vice I ordered and was wondering if it would be ok to "sit in" on your class as an observer? Where is a good and reasonable place to order fly tying supplies like the ones you listed? Do you have an internet sign in besides the phone number?

Steve Hudson

Our online Intro to Fly Tying Course was a great success, and everyone did a fantastic job! Thank you all for being a part of it!

Watch for another online Intro to Fly Tying Course coming up in August!

899river

Due to work I missed the intro course. Butt the materials I purchased which you suggested arrived to day. I plan on participating in the course in August. I appreciate the opportunity to participate.