Oops, 700 Problem

tell sackett

There was a lot of discussion a couple of years or so (or thereabouts) about issues with the safety and trigger on model 700s. Well I've got a sportsman 78 that's in the neighborhood of 30 years old and have never had any issue with it till this morning.

I pulled the trigger and then realized I failed to take safety off. Flipped it off and pulled trigger again. Nothing. Trigger never moved as if it was still on safety. About time I raised up off the scope.. boom.

Thoughts?

chuckdog

Lighter fluid cleaning. Nothing wrong with those original triggers when properly maintained and they haven’t been misadjusted by someone.

I also recommend disassembling the bolt. They fill with debris and the lube becomes hard. It is something too often overlooked.

tell sackett

I had the same thought to be honest. I take it out and clean it up "from time to time" but it's a little time since the last time:whip:

Reactions: Dub

Dub

I had the same thought to be honest. I take it out and clean it up "from time to time" but it's a little time since the last time:whip:

You, good sir......are not alone.

I’ve got a muzzleloader in my safe that may be trashed now.....not sure. Poor post-hunt care on my part.

Jester896

Senior Clown
yep ...lighter fluid to clean...and the residue from the lighter fluid will be the lub. Don't oil it. The .243 I just mounted the scope on had oil dripping out of the cocking mechanism when I cleaned it the other day. I am sure some of it creeped into the trigger. It is an X-Mark so I will remove it, clean it, then install a lighter sear spring to get it off the consistent 4.5# trigger pull it has and reseal the screw.

tell sackett

Oh great. I read this 10 minutes after I get through cleaning it up and putting a little oil on itfacepalm: Oh well, I'll put a few rounds through it tomorrow. If it malfunctions, off to the gunsmith we go.

Thanks for the advice

Nimrod71

T, if your are interested you can change out the trigger yourself it's not hard, I did it. Just have to remove action and punch two pins back, not out. Slide old one out and put new one in. I replaced mine with Triggertech and they are great.

nmurph

Cleaning the trigger is every simple, the only specialty tool you need is a torque screwdriver. Those are about $40 and should be a staple for anyone that shoots. The action screws on most rifles have a large influence on accuracy. Setting them.to spec is important. It's also helps in being able to remove and reinstall an action with a minimal shift in POI.

280 Man

Banned
You may also use Rem Oil in the can. Use the wand to spray the trigger assembly. It lubricates and cleans really well. Ive used it for many years and never a problem.

You could also use 100% acetone to clean. Then mix a little acetone and a few drops of a high quality oil and pour through the trigger assembly. The acetone will evaporate rather quickly and the oil will stay put.

Just be careful with the acetone and take precautions. Stuff is high flamable and will cause damage to some synthetics and most camouflage finishes but if the action is removed there should be no issues.

tell sackett

Well, dad blame. The bad news is after cleaning with some Hoppe's spray cleaner I lubed it with RemOil. Guess I'll be going back to the drawing board.

The good news is I finally got a chance to shoot it today, and I put six rounds through it with no issues. Apparently, with a little help from my friends(Ringo Starr for you young'uns), the SUDK (straight up deer killer, the rifle, not me; I can't even begin to count the number of deer that rifle has laid on the ground) is good to go.

Thanks again for the help and the edumacation:clap:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the way to test the trigger is to put it on safe. pull the trigger a couple three times pretty firmly, then snap the safety off with out touching the trigger.

The problem triggers would fire after this test.