Opening week….anyone going?

NickDeer

Speaking of that, it seems there is such a gap from Pinelog to Oaky Woods, and Oconee to Paulding. I get the idea of less availability closer to the Atl, but it sure would be nice to have a few more areas closer to home. Pretty sure next year I’ll be able to go further out, maybe I can get @chrislibby88 to take me for a hog/bow hunt!
I'd love to get a hog off of Paulding one day

NickDeer

Everybody says they’re out there but I’ve yet to see one. I’ve been hunting it for 30 years. Even a blind hog should find an acorn every now and then.
I’ve heard the same thing, never seen one. maybe my spots are deer only ?

Reactions: EDH

Antfinn88

Everybody says they’re out there but I’ve yet to see one. I’ve been hunting it for 30 years. Even a blind hog should find an acorn every now and then.

I've seen them on paulding every day I've been scouting over the last 3 weekends. I also went all of turkey season without seeing one. You really have to cover some ground to find them but they are out there.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Hoping to hit the log, but I’ve seen plenty of sign on several different areas of PF so I know they are somewhere out there. Then again, I’ll always see a hog track at Pinelog, somewhere, even if it’s just one……they are out there somewhere too! Good luck finding them!:bounce:

TEGSU

So... I'm confused. Opening week of what? Obviously we're talking hogs here, but I didn't think hogs had a season. I know it's all year long with no limit on private land but public land is different. Still, I go to the regs and there are no dates except for a May 16-31 blurb in there which doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm fairly certain (correct me if I'm wrong), but you can only use whatever weapon is authorized for whatever is in season at the time. (ie: bow during deer archery season, small calibers for small game, etc) What am I missing?

Edit: Pretty sure I get it now.. squirrel season.. 22mags. Gotcha. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

NickDeer

So... I'm confused. Opening week of what? Obviously we're talking hogs here, but I didn't think hogs had a season. I know it's all year long with no limit on private land but public land is different. Still, I go to the regs and there are no dates except for a May 16-31 blurb in there which doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm fairly certain (correct me if I'm wrong), but you can only use whatever weapon is authorized for whatever is in season at the time. (ie: bow during deer archery season, small calibers for small game, etc) What am I missing?

Yep… you can hog hunt on WMAs when a season is open and follow the regulations for that season. small game season is starting so a lot of people are out hunting for hogs with .22 mags and .17hmr

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member

Any legal small game weapon . Archery equipment and muzzle loaders are also legal for small game on wma

EDH

I've seen them on paulding every day I've been scouting over the last 3 weekends. I also went all of turkey season without seeing one. You really have to cover some ground to find them but they are out there.[/QUOTE
I've seen them on paulding every day I've been scouting over the last 3 weekends. I also went all of turkey season without seeing one. You really have to cover some ground to find them but they are out there.

Did you have any luck Monday?

Antfinn88

Saw a few but wasn't able to get a shot off, it was frustrating. They are in the area just have to get the timing right. Went out today and it was the first time in weeks I didn't see any. There were a bunch of deer there instead but I good bit of fresh hog poop.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Saw a few but wasn't able to get a shot off, it was frustrating. They are in the area just have to get the timing right. Went out today and it was the first time in weeks I didn't see any. There were a bunch of deer there instead but I good bit of fresh hog poop.
Nice! I went Tuesday and Wednesday. I saw a decent buck Tuesday and FINALLY saw 3 nice sized pigs on Wednesday! There is always a little sign at Pinelog but these were the first pigs I’ve actually seen in 5+ years! I almost got a shot off, but no go. A most excellent weekend I’ve had. I’ve been wanting to go to paulding and may go there next week…….I’ll be somewhere in the woods for sure!

Antfinn88

Nice! I went Tuesday and Wednesday. I saw a decent buck Tuesday and FINALLY saw 3 nice sized pigs on Wednesday! There is always a little sign at Pinelog but these were the first pigs I’ve actually seen in 5+ years! I almost got a shot off, but no go. A most excellent weekend I’ve had. I’ve been wanting to go to paulding and may go there next week…….I’ll be somewhere in the woods for sure!

I might try and get an evening sit on paulding Sunday night. I'm out of town next weekend so I want to at least try this spot 1 more time.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I might try and get an evening sit on paulding Sunday night. I'm out of town next weekend so I want to at least try this spot 1 more time.

@Antfinn88, if you wanna send me a PM, I won’t get mad! PF is so spread out with little pieces here and there, yet so big! I haven’t got to spend much time out there, but I’m gonna try and hunt as much as possible til I get a pig on ice!

NickDeer

@Antfinn88, if you wanna send me a PM, I won’t get mad! PF is so spread out with little pieces here and there, yet so big! I haven’t got to spend much time out there, but I’m gonna try and hunt as much as possible til I get a pig on ice!
I’ve heard a lot people kill them on the north side towards Sheffield. I stay towards the center of the WMA and haven’t seen sign while deer hunting.

Antfinn88

Just gotta find what they are eating then look for the closest water source and figure where they are moving. It's taken weeks to figure out how these hogs have been moving so it's gonna be sweet when i actually catch up to one.

Antfinn88

I’ve heard a lot people kill them on the north side towards Sheffield. I stay towards the center of the WMA and haven’t seen sign while deer hunting.

Yep i saw lots of old hog sign up in sheffield. I haven't scouted as much up there but once gun season starts on paulding forest I'll probably start hunting sheffield more.