"Operation Bad Medicine" dropped the ball this weekend!

Handgunner

:whip: :whip:

I was my new spot on the hunting club Saturday evening when about 30 minutes before dark, 3 does entered my food plot. I didn't go out to shoot, but more to watch. I had made up my mind that in those conditions, wind and rain, I wasn't going to shoot unless it was a big buck, or a suicidal doe.

When I saw the does enter the far end of my food plot, I put the 25-06 scope on them and watched. They fed closer and closer and at 20 yards, I decided to let the handgun talk to the biggest one (looking for a mature doe, Chad :bounce:).

So, I got rock steady, and put the crosshairs of the 629 on the base of her neck where it joined her shoulders, and squeezed off a round. She hit the ground like a ton of bricks! She kicked around for about 15 seconds and then laid still.. head down. While she was kicking, I started to put one more into it for assurance, but thinking "neck shot... she ain't going no where" I waited. When she laid her head down... I thought "OK... game over" and proceeded to take my ear plugs out and put my gun back in it's case.. I looked up just in time to see her jump up and take off running.

"OH NO!!!"

I got down out of the box blind and went to look for her... No blood, no hair, no meat or bone... NOTHING! But where she'd kicked around.

We looked for over 2 hours and even got my trailing dog on her and couldn't find her. :banginghe

We went back Sunday morning after the hunt and looked for another 3 hours... Still nothing!

The only thing I can figure is that my gun is dead on at 100 yards. At 20, I'm thinking I was a bit high, so shooting a neck shot, I just hit a tad high, missed the spine, but got enough meat to shock the spine... which is why she fell like she did. After regaining her senses, she got up and ran off.

I'm pretty sure she'll make it, but hate that I lost one. Under normal circumstances, I would have held "heart/lung" and put one in there, but with it drizzling rain, I wanted her to drop immediately ... and she did... But it wasn't enough I guess.

Oh well, maybe next time, but I'm sick knowing I wounded one and couldn't find it. It's been nearly 15 years since I lost an animal and I just hope she makes it, which I think she will. We looked everywhere, and couldn't find a sign of her being hurt. So I'm hopeful I didn't mortally wound her... ::;

Will-dawg

I hate to hear that. Deer are amazing creatures and hopefully she'll make it.

I will show you what a mature doe looks like after I get out of this treestand. Currently, I am covered up with deer so it will be a little bit. :)

Woody's Janitor

Been there and done that same thing! I still think about it 18 years later.

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
Oh Man! That sucks!

But in the words of our esteemed President (cough, cough, choke) this is a "teachable moment". ::ke:

If you want to anchor them without a chance of messing it up, shoot high shoulder. If you are a little high, you still get spine. A little low still breaks both shoulders, a little back puts it in the boiler room, and a little front hits neck.

It is the ultimate, can't miss shot.

Oh well, if you didn't find blood, she will live.

Handgunner

Oh Man! That sucks!

But in the words of our esteemed President (cough, cough, choke) this is a "teachable moment". ::ke:

If you want to anchor them without a chance of messing it up, shoot high shoulder. If you are a little high, you still get spine. A little low still breaks both shoulders, a little back puts it in the boiler room, and a little front hits neck.

It is the ultimate, can't miss shot.

Oh well, if you didn't find blood, she will live.
I've been shooting high-shoulder shots for years with my rifle... I love the "Bamm--- FLOP!" and am addicted to it...

Not sure why I went for the neck this time. I guess I figured at that range, it was a gimme... From now on, it's the high-shoulder or heart and lung. :whip: :whip:

Gonna try it again in the morning.

I've been shooting high-shoulder shots for years with my rifle... I love the "Bamm--- FLOP!" and am addicted to it...

Not sure why I went for the neck this time. I guess I figured at that range, it was a gimme... From now on, it's the high-shoulder or heart and lung. :whip: :whip:

Gonna try it again in the morning.

Gotta get them to look like this, only with a bullet hole instead of the Rage hole in the boiler room. :flag:

Attachments

• photo(18).jpg
    photo(18).jpg
    169 KB · Views: 395

MR.BIGBUCK

It's not called a bad hit It is called a good miss and we all will do it if we hunt long enough. As soon as i get som pic i got a good story about sunday eve. will tell then!

specialk

if ya'll see a ''mature'' doe walking on her hind legs with both front paws stuck in each ear-then that's the deer Handgunner shot at:bounce:::ke:

Handgunner

if ya'll see a ''mature'' doe walking on her hind legs with both front paws stuck in each ear-then that's the deer Handgunner shot at:bounce:::ke:
:rofl: :rofl:

She flat KNEW I was there, no doubt! :bounce: