Opinion on shot

Ugahunter2013

I watching a doe feed about 15 yards away yesterday evening (downwind) . I was hunting out of a ground blind and had my shot blocked by some brush. Was waiting on her to walk out a little ways for a clear shot when the wind picked up and she winded me. She blew ,hopped a few times, stopped and turned broadside. I put my 30 yard pin on her and shot. Didnt see arrow hit but heard a thwack from it hitting a tree or some obstruction. I haven’t killed a pile of deer with my bow, maybe 8-10 but I always remember hearing the distinct sound of the arrow going through the body. Which leads me to think i may have hit her low and it only passed through a small portion of her underside.

40 min later i go to spot i shot her and it was 36 yards. My 20 and 30 pins are pretty much on top of each other, my 40 yard pin drops down a good bit. Minimal blood at impact (picture) and you can see white hair. My initial thought was even though i felt good on my hold on her, my shot hit low because I used 30 yard pin. I didn’t have a chance to range her when she hopped off and stopped, as she was on me. I followed sparse blood for about 40 yards and it stopped. All blood i found looked like drops, did not see any “spray” or notice any bubbles in blood. Rage 2 blades. Thoughts?AF417A05-9F7A-4A5A-909A-9DE10D7F22F2.jpeg

Last edited:

Whitefeather

Management Material
Sounds like a brisket shot. White hair is always underbelly hair so I don’t think it’s fatal. I shot one in the brisket and watched him tend a doe for 30 minutes after I shot him.

Ugahunter2013

How much blood? Covered in blood? What color? Rage being deployed doesn’t mean anything.
The entire arrow had blood on it. Id say a light to medium red similar to the picture. These are probably 6-7 year old rages by the way. When they just had 2 and 3 blade. Prior to the hyperdermics etc

Whitefeather

Management Material
Was there any fat on the arrow?

Ugahunter2013

Didnt notice any fat, meat, etc anywhere on arrow. the broad head was 2-3 “ in the ground

Whitefeather

Management Material
The sound you heard was the impact on the breast bone IMO. It definitely sounds different that a rib shot. I still think it’s a brisket shot. No major blood vessels in there so the blood trail will be a drop here and there. Basically a flesh wound. She’ll probably be fine. Again IMO.