Opinions Needed: First CC Lake/River Boat

dustduck98

New to the page, just looking for some opinions from knowledgeable boaters. Most of my boating experience comes from 12-14ft tiller handle Jon Boats. Moving closer to the lake in the near future and have debated on going to a CC 18-20ft aluminum boat. Zero experience with a console, but have a slower river close to my now home that'd be used prior to hitting the lake.
Boat would be mainly used for Fishing/Duck Hunting on Rivers and Lakes. Would like enough room for 3-4 people to fit comfortable. The G3 18' & 20' CCJ/CCT have caught my eye, but not sure if that's the right price range for something I'm not use to or experience with. Debated on going the older used route, but don't want to end up with a piece of junk. Any opinions welcome; Brand, Size, Year Model?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Holt

I've got a 2018 Express H20 Bay. Can't really complain about the boat just the fact that I don't use it enough. Easy to maneuver on the water and off.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
New to the page, just looking for some opinions from knowledgeable boaters. Most of my boating experience comes from 12-14ft tiller handle Jon Boats. Moving closer to the lake in the near future and have debated on going to a CC 18-20ft aluminum boat. Zero experience with a console, but have a slower river close to my now home that'd be used prior to hitting the lake.
Boat would be mainly used for Fishing/Duck Hunting on Rivers and Lakes. Would like enough room for 3-4 people to fit comfortable. The G3 18' & 20' CCJ/CCT have caught my eye, but not sure if that's the right price range for something I'm not use to or experience with. Debated on going the older used route, but don't want to end up with a piece of junk. Any opinions welcome; Brand, Size, Year Model?
Edit

I ran a g3 1860 CCT Deluxe for a while on the chattahoochee river and the florida panhandle.
It was a great all around boat but didn't excel in jet water or in rough water.
7 inch tunnel with a 7 inch raised transom and a 7 inch jackplate.
Couldn't run with the jackplate above about half way up but a four blade prop might have helped that... but would have cut some speed...

IMG_20130817_152633_349.jpg

IMG_20131022_074500_395_2.jpg

IMG_20140606_112015_767_2.jpg

I only got rid of it to qualify for a loan on a bigger bayboat but regret not just paying it off and keeping it.
I did get a 15 foot.Alweld stick steer with a 40/30 jet later but I just didnt like the lack of speed and the every-use maintenance of greasing the impeller. It was also a very finicky set up as far as height on the transom as it related to depth in the water. Swapped the jet out for a 40 prop.
It's a good river boat but still doesn't do what the jetboats did. I don't think I would go with a jet unless it was absolutely necessary and wasnt going to use the boat for other waters... And wasn't going to run it in grassy waters or in the fall with lots of leaves on the surface. I've been outside of the boat in shallow water clearing moss and leaves out my impeller more than once.

My boat beside my neighbor's g3 jet tunnel..
Screenshot_20170709-145512.png

I really didn't like the layout of my neighbors jet either with the square-cornered livewell under the seat and the console jammed up against the front deck with no front seat...
Very little space for upright rod holders.

Last edited: