Opinions on a new climber!!

BCR840

I have had the Summit Viper now for a little over 15 yrs. it is showing some wear so I thought this year I would upgrade. I’m planning to just bow hunt with it. I don’t like lock-ons so I have narrowed down to 3 climbers. Just would like some opinions. I did search before hand and gathered a little info but mostly older threads. Also I’m not a big guy. 5’10” 170. 45 yrs old. If this helps.

Summit Viper SD-MO
Summit Vipor Open Shot
Summit Mini Vipor SD
Lone Wolf Sit and Climb 2

I did consider just upgrading parts on old summit but it’s going to cost around $170.
I tend to sit at minimum 5 hrs and never over 8hrs. I pack in at most 1 mile. But usually avg around 1/2 mile or so. Thx

tell sackett

If you're packing that far- the lightest one.:wink:

BamaGeorgialine

I bought the summit open shot two years ago. I sat in it 2 times and it was too much work for me. It is quiet and light but not for me. Matter of fact, I'm selling that sucker for $100 just because I'm not using it anymore

BCR840

I bought the summit open shot two years ago. I sat in it 2 times and it was too much work for me. It is quiet and light but not for me. Matter of fact, I'm selling that sucker for $100 just because I'm not using it anymore
Is that because it doesn’t have the sit/shooting rail? I guess I would have to do more of a pull up with that one. Thx for the reply.

Bjrink

Depends on what you are using it for. Quick sits, early season you can’t beat the open shot. The Goliath is a beast and is super comfortable. Unless you have to sit in a tree try a season focusing on ground hunting. It has changed the way I hunt and interact in the woods. I also hunt primarily with my 10 year old son.

BCR840

Depends on what you are using it for. Quick sits, early season you can’t beat the open shot. The Goliath is a beast and is super comfortable. Unless you have to sit in a tree try a season focusing on ground hunting. It has changed the way I hunt and interact in the woods. I also hunt primarily with my 10 year old son.
I have considered hunting on the ground. Looked at some blinds and was overwhelmed with how many there are now. Any recommendations besides natural cover? Bow hunting only.

Bjrink

Rhino blinds came out with one this year that is 360 degree see through from the inside. It’s $212 which is expensive but check it out, definitely cheaper than a Goliath. Are you using a compound or a crossbow?

Bjrink

Also if you hunt the same stand locations without other people pressuring the area I’d suggest climbing sticks and millennium lock on stands

BCR840

Rhino blinds came out with one this year that is 360 degree see through from the inside. It’s $212 which is expensive but check it out, definitely cheaper than a Goliath. Are you using a compound or a crossbow?
Compound. I will check these out. I saw the Primos see through and the price shocked me.

BCR840

Also if you hunt the same stand locations without other people pressuring the area I’d suggest climbing sticks and millennium lock on stands
I don’t have anyone else “hunting” on 275 ac. Just some occasional atv use by a friends kids. I haven’t hunted this property yet but have been running cameras for the last 5 months with feeders as well. I have some Millinium ladder stands that I use as well. Mostly for my kids if they ever go. I can bow hunt out of those just fine but I tend to like to move around. Like I said I have used the summit viper for more than half my career. I always figured climbing sticks and lock on’s would be cumbersome and more of an investment. But I do like the flexibility of not having to look for the perfect tree instead of the perfect hunting spot.

chrislibby88

I’ve got the Lonewolf Sitnclimb 2. Haven’t hunted out of it yet, but I have played with it in the back yard. I’m digging it so far. It’s a bit lighter and way more packable than the summits. XOP makes a shoulder strap and hip belt system that fits them too. They actually make a clone climber, but I’ve heard the quality isn’t the same.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
In agreement with whats been said about the open shot. At 61 yrs old its getn a bit of a chore to climb with it. Its not a comfortable long sit stand. Its great for long distance walks on public land. Very ez to tote. Got the viper as well thats becoming my go to. Just dont tote it as far.

BamaGeorgialine

Is that because it doesn’t have the sit/shooting rail? I guess I would have to do more of a pull up with that one. Thx for the reply.
Yeah pretty much. Not necessarily the strength it takes but, no matter how slow I'd try and climb I'd be sweating like a beast by the time I'd reach where I wanted to be. With a sit down bar it does take near the effort. Then you have the bar there so it's a give and take. I bought the tethrd mantis and use it most of the time now

GregoryB.

I have a older Summit Razor SS with the bar that drops down out of the way for bowhunting. Works great. Just got a new Goliath since I mostly gun hunt public land in SC now.

Reactions: M80

uturn

I’m bow only and I love the open front..nearing 61 now and its not as easy to ride it up but once up hard to beat..I have the LW too both are open if I'm not in a lock-on it is one of these!

BCR840

I’ve got the Lonewolf Sitnclimb 2. Haven’t hunted out of it yet, but I have played with it in the back yard. I’m digging it so far. It’s a bit lighter and way more packable than the summits. XOP makes a shoulder strap and hip belt system that fits them too. They actually make a clone climber, but I’ve heard the quality isn’t the same.
So have you hunted out of the Summits? If so how does the LW compare?

BASS175

BANNED
Love my openshots. I have 2 of them. I’m about your size and just a few years younger. Love how light and compact it is especially when hunting public and having to carry it a ways