Opinions...please

transfixer

I've hunted timber co land in Northeast Ga for over 40yrs, and while we've taken a few bucks over 130" over the years, they are the exception, timberland, and the dirt that results from nothing but pines being grown in it for years and years, does not provide the best nutrition for growing big deer or antlers in my opinion, the majority of big bodied, massive racked deer I've seen over the years have come from areas with some agriculture nearby, in our case there is no agriculture within a 5 mile radius of our lease, not sure where the nice bucks we've taken have come from ? but we've always said they must have wandered in from elsewhere, as most all of them were killed during the rut

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I do not disagree with genes or age at all. I also like to add in the “dirt”. More specifically, the composition of that dirt and nutritional availability. In some ways The fertility can be altered on small scales (foodplots-with fertilizer and ideal pH), but the small scale may not move the needle much in average deer size. On a large scale, this would be costly for just hunting purposes. Heavy agricultural areas are treating large areas, and the needle can be moved easier.
I believe often the dirt is as much the limiting factor as anything else (if the goal is antler size).
A similar example that comes to mind for those that have planted pine trees: I can go out and buy enhanced genetic pine trees, but if I do not address potential limiting factors such as fertilization or weed control, those enhanced genetics may not be realized.

Age and genetics certainly are very major factors as well.
Kind of bouncing off this idea, But in more layman’s terms if I can. While there is plenty of food in most of our deer woods, I’d think big agricultural fields of nutritious plants would make the deer bigger. Since those fields are treated and have perfect soil conditions, even the surrounding hardwoods will benefit and grow to max potential.
The deer will benefit with More food and less work to eat it. Imagine eating thanksgiving dinner everyday and all you did was pull up a chair to sit down and eat……everyday