Optimisitc Quail Hunters?

BirdNut

Any one out there feel good about this year? I have to think that the weather we've had might have done the birds some good, combined with some of the habitat work that has been going on in the state, maybe populations might be up? I am hoping I can expect a covey per day now instead of 1 covey per 2 or 3 days...

I should qualify this by saying that I stomp around a lot on public land.

I plan on hitting my WMA standbys, plus I got drawn to take my nephew and a friend to 2 youth quail hunts this year (one on BQI property & 1 at Di-Lane). We are also heading to Di-Lane in February.

I did correspond with a gentleman from Texas who says they are having their best year in 10 years. Their opener was on Halloween weekend and they moved 20 coveys in one day with 25 birds per covey about standard. I think I might move to Texas!

L

Lucky Chandler

Quail

BirdNut,

My farm is about 20 miles from Di-Lane - I have more birds this year, at least four coveys, than I have had in at least 7 years. I've had one covey right under a deer stand twice this year. I think I messed up my deer hunting 'cause I was moving too much watching the birds.

If you don't live too far away, PM me and we might hook up a quail hunt after deer season is over. I'd love to watch some dogs work again.

quail12

Should be better this year

With the rain we had this summer, the places with decent quail cover should be the best they've been in years. The rain is the driver in Tx. and Okla. When they have rain in the spring and summer, they have birds. Our problem is the cover, but it should best its been in a while this season.

Good Hunting
Chuck

Huntingdawg

We have flushed more covies walking to our deer

stands than I can remember. Our farm has participated in the bob white quail initiative for the past three years and things seem to be paying off. Of course once we give up on the deer and concentrate on the quail..we will not be able to find any covies.

jeclif

birdnut I live close enough but I don't have a dog anymore still I would love to go if you need a second