Ordered a rocklock today!

GAHUNTER60

A Tennessee Valley Muzzleloader Natchez Poor Boy rifle with a swamped, .54 caliber Colerain barrel, upgraded wood, double-set trigger and upgraded lock. If it all works out, this should be my deer rifle for the rest of my life.

The gun is classified as a "barn gun," since it doesn't emulate any particular builder or geographic style of rifle. In the South, barn guns were fairly common during Colonial times, as many town blacksmiths built functional, yet inexpensive guns to fulfill a need in their community.

I'll post pictures in about seven months when it arrives.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds like a goodun.

Supercracker

You're gonna love it.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
That will be a great one for you. I want one just like it but will probably get a 32 caliber flintlock first.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Glad you're getting one,I like flinchlocks and percussion.

GAHUNTER60

Well, I'm sorry to say, I have cancelled my TVM Poor Boy. Fortunately, they were supposed to send me an invoice for the down payment amount this week. Until that was paid, it wasn't really an order. But I have had second thoughts on the gun.

I decided to go with a Jim Kibler Colonial Rifle, which checks more of the boxes on a rifle I want, plus, it will be here before Christmas (The TVM is a seven month wait). The Kibler gun has way more "pretty" furniture and a great reputation for accuracy. And, by ordering it "in the White," it's the same price as the TVM Natchez Poor Boy.

The rifle will arrive completely assembled and functional, but will need to have the stock and metal finished (That's what "in the white" means). Ive finished stocks before, so that is not a problem. And even though I've never "browned" a barrel and lock parts before, there is a good turtorial on Youtube. It looks pretty easy.

I talked to Jim Kibler this morning and am now convinced I made the right decision. This guy knows his rifles and loves helping folks assemble them. It's nice to know that if I run into a problem, help is just a phone call away.

ky55

Well, I'm sorry to say, I have cancelled my TVM Poor Boy. Fortunately, they were supposed to send me an invoice for the down payment amount this week. Until that was paid, it wasn't really an order. But I have had second thoughts on the gun.

I decided to go with a Jim Kibler Colonial Rifle, which checks more of the boxes on a rifle I want, plus, it will be here before Christmas (The TVM is a seven month wait). The Kibler gun has way more "pretty" furniture and a great reputation for accuracy. And, by ordering it "in the White," it's the same price as the TVM Natchez Poor Boy.

The rifle will arrive completely assembled and functional, but will need to have the stock and metal finished (That's what "in the white" means). Ive finished stocks before, so that is not a problem. And even though I've never "browned" a barrel and lock parts before, there is a good turtorial on Youtube. It looks pretty easy.

I talked to Jim Kibler this morning and am now convinced I made the right decision. This guy knows his rifles and loves helping folks assemble them. It's nice to know that if I run into a problem, help is just a phone call away.
I bought several Tip Curtis guns in the white. Saved some money and they finished up really nice.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Sound like a awesome rifle.

I want a Hawken in .54, but would settle for a .50.

Where is best place to order one from?

GAHUNTER60

Midsouth Shooters Supply has pretty good prices on the Lyman Great Plains rifles, which are very good Hawken-style guns. Also, Pedersoli has several Hawken models being sold at Cabelas from under $600 to the Missouri River Hawken for over $1,300. Guns International has several used Thompson Center Hawken and Renegades in .54 and .50 calibers for Under $400

But you didn't say what ignition system (flint or percussion) you wanted. Nor did you mention what barrel twist you want. Both the Lyman and the Pedersoli have rifles with fast twist, slow twist and in between twist. Fast twist (1-28" in the Pedersoli, and 1-32" in the Lyman) are made to shoot either sabots or heavy conical bullets accurately, but suck wind on patched round balls. Medium twist (1-48") are supposed to be a compromise and shoot conicals and round balls accurately (but in my experience,1-48" barrels shoot conicals just okay, and round balls just okay, unless you find the "perfect" load for that individual barrel). The slow twist barrels (1-66") are for shooting patched round balls only, and, usually, will not stabilize conicals.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Midsouth Shooters Supply has pretty good prices on the Lyman Great Plains rifles, which are very good Hawken-style guns. Also, Pedersoli has several Hawken models being sold at Cabelas from under $600 to the Missouri River Hawken for over $1,300. Guns International has several used Thompson Center Hawken and Renegades in .54 and .50 calibers for Under $400

But you didn't say what ignition system (flint or percussion) you wanted. Nor did you mention what barrel twist you want. Both the Lyman and the Pedersoli have rifles with fast twist, slow twist and in between twist. Fast twist (1-28" in the Pedersoli, and 1-32" in the Lyman) are made to shoot either sabots or heavy conical bullets accurately, but suck wind on patched round balls. Medium twist (1-48") are supposed to be a compromise and shoot conicals and round balls accurately (but in my experience,1-48" barrels shoot conicals just okay, and round balls just okay, unless you find the "perfect" load for that individual barrel). The slow twist barrels (1-66") are for shooting patched round balls only, and, usually, will not stabilize conicals.

Thanks!

I want a 1-48" twist, I had a Thompson Center years ago in .54, and I sold it like a idjit.