Ossabaw Hog Hunt - February

one_shot_no_mor

I haven't gotten any info about getting to the island for the Ossabaw hunt in February. Anybody else get picked? How do I arrange a boat?

eavega

I haven't gotten any info about getting to the island for the Ossabaw hunt in February. Anybody else get picked? How do I arrange a boat?

Same here. I'm on the January trip in two weeks, and still have not gotten any further information.

E

GSUbackwoods

I was selected for the third deer hunt this year, only info I received came from Kilkenny Marina, nothing from DNR.

You can arrive on the island after noon on the Tuesday before the hunt. You can get a shuttle ride to/from the island from Kilkenny Marina or Ft. McMacallister Marina, or you can take your own boat and tie off a the dock located at the camp ground. The bathrooms and generator will not be open until sometime Wednesday afternoon. There is a mandatory meeting at Wednesday 5:00PM for all hunters, afterwards you can start signing up for spots. Hunts start Thursday Morning, truck leave and pickup times will be discussed at Wednesday's meeting. There are four truck routes to the spots, the only marking of your spot will be a pin driven into a tree at the dropoff location so make sure you know who is around you. The last hunt will be Saturday night. You must have everything out the cooler by 10:00AM Sunday, that is when they lock everything up.

Pigs are everywhere, so any spot is a good spot. I wouldn't waste time bringing a climber, you can slowly walk the roads and kill all you want; that's what I done with the pig below and all the others I killed.

wKeip4Ej0x4XlWgZsUPcvlA1Sf-HVyiLxw5UbU5CkbHtDZSmbJ3w-ws4DtSm1zJ23XaLN_Rn8J3uMQObTDaapPhIxGe4P-ti4uiurG7wuPltf7WFgtqX3GJipnsmkAM2JgsLNwOPpbkZBP6LligHBr0zZlK27JrSeampTOI8hYFgFZYzSQxqNygTzesJ84tS2M5CbQh3BH2SfL_hS1u-cPkFw2cGeM6q1N-q5k-l6ZjJunvhDi__KJImfHsA5PHFtjJQKr5VQJWl7vBrk5UhmTJwWhlzRfuFjPO42-3ASIhLP_E12IujqdjRUgOncbr2En1X7xYBK9XL46qnnAVcy2B6y6la7p1o15rL7r3BlktcNl7fRBmDhAzDMqo6smz9Jo64rcWxm6fYvjwG8EyX7fkHP4OH81O0UjEfx4d6dDvmkexvoTL0h_dmzdf2orNyEOYNQv_-TTI3lzzcYrZFUCmlueniCU4XvwHPiisAQeGc6lNu31n4XXxgOljNlm-5SlQa0fRvPMKkqvLK8MpvTcuqISE8Yc70Wb4eXRpv0O1PuI6I3Y2f-apXHIw9cHqo1xO9Ma8yO-HocxsZrahC7lXV9paxnlQe5cFhkiKSiZr0hEI9LMeca6hnh8Ew2GpI2LeTTlL-lAwnCTnZFgTfqVNwtCqkSiqMjoXoakItYY0iRQEosa60oUp8jxSy1w=w1292-h970-no

oldfatbubba

I completely agree w/ @GSUbackwoods on not bringing a climber. You need to walk on the ground. I wouldn't even bring a game cart since you'll be driven out to your assigned area. Some may disagree.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
You can arrive on the island after noon on the Tuesday before the hunt. You can get a shuttle ride to/from the island from Kilkenny Marina or Ft. McMacallister Marina, or you can take your own boat and tie off a the dock located at the camp ground. The bathrooms and generator will not be open until sometime Wednesday afternoon. There is a mandatory meeting at Wednesday 5:00PM for all hunters, afterwards you can start signing up for spots.

Andy turns on the generator and water once he gets there around 9am on Wed and after you check in with him, you can sign up for an area.

eavega

So I called Kilkenny marina today to get information. Here's what I was told; DNR did not get them the list of hunters (at least for the January hunt) so they won't be sending out any information, but here is what they told me.
  • Cost is $85 for the round trip. That is payable cash, or credit card (credit cards subject to a fee)
  • They will run folks out as early as Tuesday midday (earliest they will allow hunters on the island), but note that as @Danny Leigh mentions above, the generators and water don't get turned on until Wednesday morning.
  • The marina will run boats as soon as the morning marina work is done, so roughly no boats will go out on any day before 8 AM (that is not set in stone, though, if they finish early or later with the regular marina work)
  • For pick-up from the island you just have to call, but their rule is not to call for pick up until all your gear is at the dock ready to be loaded onto the boat. They do not want to go all the way out to the island only to sit and wait while you haul your gear from camp to the dock.
  • Note that they will only run boats during daylight hours.
  • Everyone needs to be off the island by Noon on Sunday, so plan accordingly.
Hope this helps everyone out.

-E

JonathonJEB

So I called Kilkenny marina today to get information. Here's what I was told; DNR did not get them the list of hunters (at least for the January hunt) so they won't be sending out any information, but here is what they told me.
  • Cost is $85 for the round trip. That is payable cash, or credit card (credit cards subject to a fee)
  • They will run folks out as early as Tuesday midday (earliest they will allow hunters on the island), but note that as @Danny Leigh mentions above, the generators and water don't get turned on until Wednesday morning.
  • The marina will run boats as soon as the morning marina work is done, so roughly no boats will go out on any day before 8 AM (that is not set in stone, though, if they finish early or later with the regular marina work)
  • For pick-up from the island you just have to call, but their rule is not to call for pick up until all your gear is at the dock ready to be loaded onto the boat. They do not want to go all the way out to the island only to sit and wait while you haul your gear from camp to the dock.
  • Note that they will only run boats during daylight hours.
  • Everyone needs to be off the island by Noon on Sunday, so plan accordingly.
Hope this helps everyone out.

-E
Thanks for the info. I was wandering where the letter was.