OSSABAW Island Hunters (Tips For The Ignorant )

Swampfoxoutdoors

I started a thread a few Years ago asking questions about Sapelo island and the thread has been somewhat helpful and popular. Now I would like to start one for Ossabaw island. Me and my buddy are wagering our hard earned points to go this year on the Feral Hog hunt. I have a few questions to ask everyone that has been.

1) Who do I contact for boat ride to the Island?

2) How much does the ride cost?

3) Is their State ran transportation on the island like on Sapelo Island quota hunts?

4) Is their a cooler on the island to put meat in?

5) Is their a bath house?

6) what is the closest Ramp on the Main land if one wanted to take their own boat.

7) Anyone have photos of the Map of the Island showing the hunting spots.

8) Contact numbers for DNR rangers on the island?

9) Is their power on the island to charge phones/GPS/Flashlights?

10) Is their a limit on how much gear or what kind of gear you can pack on the boat?

If anyone has Photos of Ossabaw island from previous hunts please share them. I plan on taking a number of photos while down their this year and sharing them on here.

Designasaurus

(1) Kilkenny Marina provides ferry services to the island - if you get drawn they will mail you a flyer with costs/contact info.
(2) Last time I went it was $75 round trip
(3) The state provides rides from camp to the hunting spots via truck pulled wagons. They were recently upgraded - the best return on your tax dollars you can get IMO.
(4) There are hog & deer coolers for use on the hunts. Typically you are limited to 2 animals in the cooler - you will need to deal with the additional animals if you get more than 2.
(5) There is a new bathroom/bathhouse with separate toilet/shower facilities - very nice. Supposedly there is hot water although it wasn't working for me last time I was there.
(6) Not sure - you can launch your own boat from Kilkenny for a fee.
(7) I think there is a map on one of the threads here on GON.
(8) No idea?
(9) Yes the new building has shelves with multiple outlets for charging phones - very nice.
(10) Many groups bring a LOT of stuff- enough to fill several pickup beds. I am sure that there is a limit but I think you can bring about everything you are willing to carry on/off the island.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Me and a few buddies put in for the February hunt at ossabow as well. Hopefully will see you there.

tlee22

Swampfoxoutdoor,

Check out this article http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=3638&cid=158 Talks a lot about the hunt. I would love to give you a few spots. I am taking both of my nephews on the Adult/ Child hunt. I am trying to get them both on a large boar on the hunt since neither has killed one. I was able to scout a good bit last Feb during the pig hunt so I am hope they will both luck up. When I get back I will PM you were you want to be. I know they have burned some of the island so a lot places won't be the same. It is a great place to hunt and can't wait to go back even if I don't get to carry a gun.

Last edited:

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Yup, I will be there in February with a friend and. Couple family members.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Looking forward to seeing you again. You taking the Glock again?

ktc286

My group of 4 will be on the Feb hunt also. First time to Ossabaw for us. We have hunted Sapelo for many years but wanted to try something different.

Swampfoxoutdoors

Kilkenny Marina INFORMATION

Website http://www.kilkennymarina.com/contact-us.html

Phone Number (912)-727-2215

Email kilkennymarina@yahoo.com

I called and talked with a guy at the Marina. The guy was very nice and helpful. I asked him a few questions and I will list them below.

1- How much does it cost?

- $75.00 (Cash I am assuming) round trip

2- How much gear can you bring?

- He said everything including the kitchen sink is fine
with them, But remember you will be the one
loading and unloading everything and he said you
will handle your gear a estimated 11 times from
your house to the island.

3- How do you like for people to pack their gear?

- He said the heavy duty roll around trash cans
seemed to be the best idea.

4- What type of boat do you use?

- He said they have 3 Boats. (2) 20' center console
boats and (1) 22' cost guard approved pontoon boat.

5- Do you operate on a hourly schedule?

- No, first come first serve and they try to get a few
people (2-6) per trip.

6- Boat drive time to island?

- 30min

7- Can we come down on Monday before the hunt and go
to the island?

- NO! GA DNR WILL NOT allow anyone on the island
before TUESDAY AT NOON.

8- Do you mail out a letter to all the quota hunt
recipients?

- YES, you will get the letter in the mail 3-4 weeks
before your schedule hunt.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Also they will pick you up whenever you want to go back, have your stuff on the dock and then call them. Daytime only.
he also said there are people that camp in the parking lot the night before to get there early.

Biggeer

I got drawn also and have never been. Does anyone recommend bringing a climber or do most folks just hunt from a ground blind?

Designasaurus

Forget the climber - use the space for a cart... The only time I have seen climbers put to good use is on the edge of marsh where you can see out into the marsh.

TC915

Noticed one question was unanswered. I went last year & never deleted the dnr phone #'s from my phone just incase I got drawn this year. Anyhow here's the two #'s I got last year, 404 # is for the ATL office & the 912 # is the island GW. Calling either one will get ya any island specific info ya need.

Ossabaw DNR 404-985-6868
Ossabaw WMA 912-262-3173

CharrDad

Thanks for posing the questions swampfoxoutdoors. I was selected for the first firearms hunt (Oct 9-11), and had many of the same questions as you. If you don't mind, I'll add a few more to list:

(1) Should I take a climber, or plan to hunt from the ground?
(2) How should I go about selecting a good hunt zone? Are certain areas of the island better than others? Better terrain to look for such as wetland, savannah's, hammocks?
(3) If looking for mast, what kind of trees am I searching for?
(4) Will a therma-cell (or two) do the trick or do I need to plan for head nets, speciality clothing etc, to keep the bugs at bay?
(5) Should I be hunting the tides? Do the deer/hogs move with the tides?
(6) Any other random advise for a island newbie?

Certainly looking forward to any responses. Thanks in advance, and I hope to see some of you folks on the island.

tlee22

(1) Should I take a climber, or plan to hunt from the ground?
I just hunt from the ground but that is your call. Lots of walking is what it really takes.
(2) How should I go about selecting a good hunt zone? Are certain areas of the island better than others? Better terrain to look for such as wetland, savannah's, hammocks?
Marshes are always good. Don't cross any water!!! I thing the island has about 1,000 gators with some being over 13 ft long and over 800lbs. They will still be out in OCT.
(3) If looking for mast, what kind of trees am I searching for?
the oak trees there should be dropping around the time you are their. Any oak groves should have game in them.
(4) Will a therma-cell (or two) do the trick or do I need to plan for head nets, speciality clothing etc, to keep the bugs at bay?
I would just use skin so soft bug replant. The nats are really bad. We had a few leave after the first day because the nats were so bad.

(5) Should I be hunting the tides? Do the deer/hogs move with the tides?
I would hunt the tides if you are hunting near the marsh. I think the tides affect the pigs more then they do the deers.

(6) Any other random advise for a island newbie?
Watch out for rattle snakes. Make sure you take a cart to drag your game out. Prepare yourself to hunt in some hot weather. Don't be scare to jump from one area to another or hunt the walk in area. I have seen some nice island bucks come out of that area. pack as light as you can since you have to carry your gear in and off of boats and up and down docks. The DNR are great guys there and will help in any way they can.