OSSABAW Island Hunters (Tips For The Ignorant )

RickyB

For my first time to the island I had a great hunt and ended up with a spike and a 4pt. I was a little disappointed that I never saw a hog but I did hear them one morning out in the marsh. Guess I should have moved my stand on the marsh from what I was told to see hogs. Ill save that for next go round

Going solo was actually a good thing, I mingled around and got to meet a lot of good folks on this trip. Also ran into a friend I haven't seen in a long time.

With my limit filled on deer I decided to leave early Saturday morning and suggested my spot to two new friends, Danial and his father. My only regret is that I should had left them my phone number so they could call me to tell me if they got a deer or hog or not. If either of you see this message please PM me and let me know how you did. I saw multiple deer on every sit in that spot.

RickyB

I took mine but never did fish. Talked to some others that did fish and they said they caught whiting and croaker.

snuffy

I took mine but never did fish. Talked to some others that did fish and they said they caught whiting and croaker.

Last time we were on the island we caught whiting, corker and a few trout. This time I will have oil and frying pan.

RickyB

One guy brought a cast net for shrimp but said they were all small. "Cocktail shrimp size"

We had a full moon and tides were strong. Hopefully you're on the island when its better.

snuffy

One guy brought a cast net for shrimp but said they were all small. "Cocktail shrimp size"

We had a full moon and tides were strong. Hopefully you're on the island when its better.

Ones we caught were small also. We used some of them for bait.

nick220

We went fishing and did not catch anything. We did not have enough time to fish because you have to go into the wood at two clock. It was barely enough time to make lunch and rest for thirty minutes and you are right back in the woods. I wish we went into the woods like three to three thirty since it was so CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored hot.

snuffy

We went fishing and did not catch anything. We did not have enough time to fish because you have to go into the wood at two clock. It was barely enough time to make lunch and rest for thirty minutes and you are right back in the woods. I wish we went into the woods like three to three thirty since it was so CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored hot.

They don't give you enough time for lunch. And when you get back from the evening hunt, fix something to eat it is time to go to bed to do it all over the next day.
We only hunted one evening. Stayed in camp, took naps and fished.

Its all about having a good time

RickyB

Bring you own water, the Island water sucks!

Being my first time on the island I thought I was going to be smart and bought and froze a bunch of 1 gallon Crystal spring water jugs and put them into two coolers. "Dont forget to let some of the water out before you freeze them" If I needed more drinking water I just left a jug out of the cooler.

I arrived on a Tuesday and still had cold food and partially frozen ice jugs Saturday morning when I went to leave. The only issue was with two deer it filled a 48qt cooler to the top with meat so out with the ice jugs. The second cooler had the remainder of my food. "Brought too much to eat"

With your meat hanging in the cooler it'll be good and cold you wont have to have ice it again until you get back to KillKenny marina. Just don't take it out of the cooler till you're ready to get on the boat at the dock. Then buy your bag ice for your trip home at the marina.

papachaz

Also they will pick you up whenever you want to go back, have your stuff on the dock and then call them. Daytime only.
he also said there are people that camp in the parking lot the night before to get there early.

he's not kidding about this either! and the estimate for handling your gear is about right too, unless you're first one there and carry everything down to the dock where the boat loads, you'll pick it up and move it several times. The rolling trash cans is a great idea, although last time we were there a guy had one full and strapped a couple of deer stands on top of one and almost dumped the whole thing in the water trying to get back on the boat coming home......

if you're going warm weather, carry a thermocell and DEET as strong as you can stand

tlee22

Looks like the chance of rain is gone. I just hope it does not get hot.... sounds like we will have a high tide. I got everything packed and ready. Can't wait to get over there. I going to vote in the morning and then make the 5 hour ride to kilkenney marine. Hope everyone gets there safe.

snuffy

We are heading out Wednesday morning. Will probably be the last ones on the island.

jkp

You may not be the last one snuffy, depends on how long we mess around getting packed tomorrow ourselves. Everyone be safe on the drive down and hope to see ya'll on Wed. maybe the cold front will get the critters moving.:biggrin2:

trhankinson

Day one of the PW hunt is in the books. Met some good people so far and eneryone seems to be enjoying themselves. There are about 60 hunters here and today was kinda slow in my opinion. About 20 deer were killed and only 4 hogs

jkp

Made it back from the island, here is the sorry animal count as of 1215 today 38deer and 11hogs, worst P/W sucess posted full moon and heat killed the animal movement. I missed a great buck (hang-fire) my story and I'm sticking to it, partner got a doe, sow, and another sow we didn't recover before the truck came. We had a great time as usual and met some great people including some members. Snuffy and Tlee22 it was great to meet you, and hope you made it home safe. Now we have to wait till Feb. to make up for the lack of meat.
j

Last edited:

snuffy

Made it back from the island, here is the sorry animal count as of 1215 today 38deer and 11hogs, worst P/W sucess posted full moon and heat killed the animal movement. I missed a great buck (hang-fire) my story and I'm sticking to it, partner got a doe, sow, and another sow we didn't recover before the truck came. We had a great time as usual and met some great people including some members. Snuffy and Tlee22 it was great to meet you, and hope you made it home safe. Now we have to wait till Nov. to make up for the lack of meat.
j

It was great to met Y'all also.
See you again in a couple years