Ossabaw Island Quota Hunt!

JonathonJEB

I got January also. Congrats to you. I was just down there on the archery hunt. It should be good in January.

Cwill15

93% of hunters on the first hunt had to use 6 pts to get selected! And I thought I had a chance with 3 ?

I didn’t get picked wagering 5. I think the results last year said 100% of hunters with 5 points were picked. Crazy. Seems like eventually you’re going to have to have 20 points to get drawn for anything.

JonathonJEB

They reduced the quota by a third this year due to covid. This is going to cause point creep for several years. Maybe next year the quota will be 100 again.

eavega

I bid all 6 of the points I had, thinking I would get in with 5 or less. Glad I went all-in.
I did notice it was only 30 hunters for the hunt, which I thought was somewhat low.

I'm going by myself, so anyone that got selected coming from Atlanta area want to partner up, let me know.

-E

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I got picked. Never been before. Anyone else ever been? I've heard the fishings better than the hunting.

Dennis

Been there several times but never fished but each time I wish I had brought poles. But then again you have to bring bunches of stuff and you will handle each item several times just to get to camp so I never bring fishing equipment. As far as the pig hunting goes I have never been when I did not have a opportunity to kill pigs and if I had brought firearms I could have killed plenty. But I bring a longbow and still have brought home some meat occasionally.

Rich Kaminski

I got picked and already partnered with a guy from Alpharetta, GA. Only 30 people - this should be a great hunt.

Luvntheoutdors

Had one of the best hunts of my life on the deer/hog hunt in December 2 years ago. Bring a lot of ammo and a hand held compass. You cant rely on gps there. I had my best luck with my 12ga and 00buck. Seen 30 hogs easily in 2 days. Killed 4hogs, wounded 10 and killed a doe. Action was non stop.

Last edited:

Dan30257

Had one of the best hunts of my life on the deer/hog hunt in December 2 years ago. Bring a lot of ammo and a hand held compass. You cant rely on gps there. I had my best luck with my 12ga and 00buck. Seen 30 hogs easily in 2 days. Killed 4hogs, wounded 10 and killed a doe. Action was non stop.

I use my GPS there all the time, but always have a compass as backup.

Dan30257

A buddy I served with and I got drawn for the deer/hog hunt next week. We'll be down on Tuesday. It's an every other Marine Corps Birthday/Veteran's Day tradition. It's generally not hard to figure out who we are. Stop by and chat for a bit if you see us.

eavega

A buddy I served with and I got drawn for the deer/hog hunt next week. We'll be down on Tuesday. It's an every other Marine Corps Birthday/Veteran's Day tradition. It's generally not hard to figure out who we are. Stop by and chat for a bit if you see us.

Expecting a full report when you all get back next weekend!! I'll be out there for the January hog only hunt.

Me and a buddy will be there this Tuesday as well

Dan30257

It was a wet week early on, but we got there and set up on Tuesday in pouring rain. I killed 6 pigs Thursday and my buddy got 3 pigs and 2 deer. Pigs were all over, and there were only 3 deer killed total until Saturday morning. I think 5 deer dropped Saturday morning. We bounced after the morning hunt, so not sure about Saturday evening's count.

eavega

It was a wet week early on, but we got there and set up on Tuesday in pouring rain. I killed 6 pigs Thursday and my buddy got 3 pigs and 2 deer. Pigs were all over, and there were only 3 deer killed total until Saturday morning. I think 5 deer dropped Saturday morning. We bounced after the morning hunt, so not sure about Saturday evening's count.

Dan, thanks for the report! So, given that the Jan hunt is hog only, how much ammunition do you think would be proper to bring? I wanted to take my 300 AAC. I have a small supply of my hunting round for that gun, but need to know if I have to reconsider and just take my 308 bolt gun since I have much more ammunition for that...

-E

Dan30257

I took my 300BO and my 6.8SPC AR's. 300BO is a 10.5" pistol and 6.8 is a 20" rifle. I only used my 300BO and there was only 1 shot I was able to take on a hog that I saw before it saw me, and I dropped 2 hogs with that one shot. The rest were hogs I walked up on. They were usually in the saw palmettos with limited exposure, 10-15 running in a circle at close range while I spin around like I'm hunting on the old computer game Oregon Trail. More ammo is better if you get on the pigs. Hopefully you have better weather than we did.