Ossabaw Island Quota Hunt!

eavega

Hey @Dan30257 Question for you about logistics for Ossabaw Island. The hog quota hunt is Jan 21-23 Thurs, Fri, Sat. My understanding is that you are allowed to arrive at the island the day before the hunt (in this case plan to arrive on Wed. Jan 20). Now do they kick you off the island on the last day of the hunt (Sat evening), or are you allowed to stay overnight and leave the next morning (Sun)?

-E

Dan30257

You're allowed on the Island Tuesday at Noon, and that's when we usually get there, and put a stool in line at the check in window.

You have to be off the island by Noon on Sunday.

Mac

thumbnail-2-jpg.1052689

thumbnail-jpg.1052690

A group of pigs was bedded down in the brush near the marsh. When they ran out my son shot the biggest one and was about to shoot another and I stopped him. That pig was all I wanted to drag back the way we came. No easy route. LOL

We hunted hard the first two days and covered a lot of ground in multiple areas.
Finally, on the third morning in the pouring rain, we found the pigs.
We saw 10 total, the first one was way too far in the marsh. The next three were running and could not get a shot.

We tried to hunt areas that did not have easy access.
Most of the pigs that were taken were by a small group who found them.
We covered at least 10 different sign-in areas. Close to 30 miles in 2.5 days.

across the river

A couple of questions if you don't mind. Did you take the Ferry over, and if so, was it pretty simple to carry all of your stuff over? As far as dealing with the pic, did you skin them and keep them on ice in a cooler? Do they have ice over there? Did you camp in a tent you took yourself? Sorry, that was more than a couple, but I have a family member, that is a child, that wants to put in for the Spell or Ossabaw youth hunt. I would have to take him, so I was just curious as to what all it would involve.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
ATR, is all tent camping and you have to bring everything. They do have drinkable water and bathrooms and they have coolers to put your animals in. They do have power at the check station where you can charge your phone. It can be alot of work taking all your gear up and down the ramps and hauling it across camp especially if you are moving the gear at low tide.

Still, it's one of my favorite places to be and is well worth the effort. We started hunting at Ossabaw 20 years ago and started taking the boys when they were 9 and 11.

across the river

ATR, is all tent camping and you have to bring everything. They do have drinkable water and bathrooms and they have coolers to put your animals in. They do have power at the check station where you can charge your phone. It can be alot of work taking all your gear up and down the ramps and hauling it across camp especially if you are moving the gear at low tide.

Still, it's one of my favorite places to be and is well worth the effort. We started hunting at Ossabaw 20 years ago and started taking the boys when they were 9 and 11.

Thanks for the response. I he still wants to do it, I will likely send you a PM if that is o.k. Is Ossabaw better than Sapelo or is it six of one, half a dozen of another?

Last edited:

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Thanks for the response. I he still wants to do it, I will likely send you a PM if that is o.k. Is Ossabaw better than Spell or ir is six of one, half a dozen of another?
I’m guessing you are talking about Sapelo. I have not been to Sapelo but it sounds similar to Ossabaw.

Dennis

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
First year we went there the high the first day was 19 degrees.

My first trip in Jan 2000 I don't think I took off my toboggan the whole trip and I normally hate wearing one. The lows were in the 20's and we had sleet one day. Ended up leaving after the Friday morning hunt due to concern over winter weather at home.