Ossabaw Island Quota Hunt!

JonathonJEB

It is usually frigged on Ossabaw in January. I've talked to people from upper Michigan out there and they said it was the coldest they had ever felt . With the wind and humidity it is brutal.

eavega

I posted this on another thread, but in case folks are looking for information for the January hunt, I called Kilkenny marina today to get information. Here's what I was told; DNR did not get them the list of hunters (at least for the January hunt) so they won't be sending out any information, but here are the details:
  • Cost is $85 for the round trip. That is payable cash, or credit card (credit cards subject to a fee)
  • They will run folks out as early as Tuesday midday (earliest they will allow hunters on the island), but note that as was mentioned elsewhere above, the generators and water don't get turned on until Wednesday morning.
  • The marina will run boats as soon as the morning marina work is done, so roughly no boats will go out on any day before 8 AM (that is not set in stone, though, if they finish early or later with the regular marina work)
  • For pick-up from the island you just have to call, but their rule is not to call for pick up until all your gear is at the dock ready to be loaded onto the boat. They do not want to go all the way out to the island only to sit and wait while you haul your gear from camp to the dock.
  • Note that they will only run boats during daylight hours.
  • Everyone needs to be off the island by Noon on Sunday, so plan accordingly.
Hope this helps everyone out.

As an aside, the long-term weather forecasts are starting to cover the dates of the hunt, while its not showing bone-chilling temps (Highs in the upper 50s, lows in the mid 40s), they are already showing rain on Wednesday and Thursday (up to 50% rain on Thursday). Pack accordingly, friends.

-E

Redman54

We have hunted the island 3 times in the recent past. It is a magical place with spectacular scenery. It is also some of the roughest terrain, depending on your area, that I have hunted. With that being said, I would go every year if I could.

My tip for anyone on the hog hunt - Take a large backpack with contractor trash bags, sharp knives(we use havalons) and rubber gloves. When you kill a hog, clean him on the spot, pack the meat in a trash bag, then continue on hunting. You don't want to drag a hog through that terrain.

JonathonJEB

Redman54

Great pictures. What caliber rifles are those?

.223 and 300BO. I also take one chambered in 7.62X39. Never had any issues with any of them putting one down. All three trips combined, we've killed around 30 hogs. Knock on wood....haven't shot any that we couldn't find. My buddy that always goes with us, brings his 30-30 and an AR chambered in 300BO. Bring what you can accurately shoot repeatedly with follow up shots if needed.

simpleman30

A buddy I served with and I got drawn for the deer/hog hunt next week. We'll be down on Tuesday. It's an every other Marine Corps Birthday/Veteran's Day tradition. It's generally not hard to figure out who we are. Stop by and chat for a bit if you see us.
Hey Dan. My cousin, who also happens to be one of my best friends, is a Marine vet / transferred and retired Army blackhawk pilot. I loaned him my muzzleloader to hunt the first Ossabaw hunt this past season. He shot out of powder and bullets on a doe he didn't recover and a few hogs he did recover. Hoping to join him next year if I can get drawn.

eavega

The January hunt is in the books! There were only 7 hunters on the island for this hunt. Weather mostly cooperated except for the second day of the hunt where it rained all day. I believe the totals were 13 hogs taken, so almost a 200% success rate. The DNR Guys were great! They definitely made the trip much more enjoyable and successful. Already looking forward to doing this again. Here are some of my pictures...

PXL_20210121_204017935.MP.jpg
PXL_20210122_172431446.jpg
PXL_20210120_230937928.jpg
PXL_20210123_140344114.jpg

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Take that strap and wrap it around the hog's snout to help keep it from digging into the ground, vines, logs, etc. A sled also helps to slide over the ground.

1611586108861.png

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
It’s a long way from home........but I think I may start looking into this. It looks like Florida(where I grew up) and the Carolina coast. Thanks for sharing all those awesome pictures too y’all! Can I take my bass boat and use that?

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
It’s a long way from home........but I think I may start looking into this. It looks like Florida(where I grew up) and the Carolina coast. Thanks for sharing all those awesome pictures too y’all! Can I take my bass boat and use that?

While not ideal for rough water, I've seen bass boats and even jon boats on the island. It's a 7 mile run from Kilkenny and the Bear River open up a fair amount which is where you might run into rough water. When the wind and tide are competing, those waves can get you wet.

Redman54

The January hunt is in the books! There were only 7 hunters on the island for this hunt. Weather mostly cooperated except for the second day of the hunt where it rained all day. I believe the totals were 13 hogs taken, so almost a 200% success rate. The DNR Guys were great! They definitely made the trip much more enjoyable and successful. Already looking forward to doing this again. Here are some of my pictures...

View attachment 1062431
View attachment 1062432
View attachment 1062433
View attachment 1062434
Man that boar hog has some fine cutters!! That'll make a great skull mount.

Blackston

While not ideal for rough water, I've seen bass boats and even jon boats on the island. It's a 7 mile run from Kilkenny and the Bear River open up a fair amount which is where you might run into rough water. When the wind and tide are competing, those waves can get you wet.
Me and daddy would drag the bait net at “ 109” marker ... It can get bad right ther quick just like the gate on the North end

Rich Kaminski

I got January also. Congrats to you. I was just down there on the archery hunt. It should be good in January.
John, this is Rich from the Ossabaw Island hunt. You mentioned that you might be interested in the guided hog hunt in Eastman, GA. The phone number for the hunt is 478-231-3329 (Cody) and 478-952-8496 (Lane). My number is 404-406-9982.

GMARK

View attachment 1062431
View attachment 1062432
View attachment 1062433
View attachment 1062434
Great pics! My son and I enjoyed connecting with you and the others on the island. It was an unforgettable hunt. Hope to see you out there again!