Ossabaw Island WMA - 2nd Hunt 02/06/2020

dmac

Myself and my son will be there. Looking forward to it. Been there many times. Always a great time. Sure hope the weather cools down.

dank1296

This is my giant 7 pointer way back and wonder if that big gator still there

Attachments

• IMG_5760.JPG
    IMG_5760.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5761.JPG
    IMG_5761.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 83

jdmoore308

Will be going down for the second hunt taking my three boys two of which are twins that will be celebrating their 15th birthday on the island. The last time I hunted ossabaw there mom was pregnant with them, so they are very excited to be going for their first trip. Since you get to show up Tuesday at lunch how are they doing to check in it's my understanding that you check in on Wednesday still, is there some kind of honor System on who gets there first checks in first or is it just every man for himself on Wednesday was just curious thank you for any help. See you all down there and good luck

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
JD, pretty much every year I have been, there is a line of chairs that people put out in front of the check stations as they get to the island so take at least 1 extra chair. Good luck to you and your boys.

jdmoore308

JD, pretty much every year I have been, there is a line of chairs that people put out in front of the check stations as they get to the island so take at least 1 extra chair. Good luck to you and your boys.
Thanks for the help Danny although this is not going to be my first trip to ossabow this will be my 13th hunting trip to the island. It will be my first trip with being able to go over on Tuesday so I wasn't sure quite how it worked didn't want to step on anyone's toes. Thanks for the help hopefully I can repay the favor sometime

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Alot has changed in 15 years. Metal building that now has the check-in area, 5 bathroom/showers (count on no TP), lots of charging ports for phones, a big cooler and then an area to clean the animals.

Routes are about the same except that the 40-42 areas are closed to the road still washed out. Metal fire rings in camp for fires. New trailers with springs.

tlee22

Hope everyone is safe down there. Some pretty bad weather headed your way. Looks like Sat will be the best day to hunt.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Hope y’all had a great hunt , share some pictures

jdmoore308

We had a wonderful trip to the island. . 41 Hunters Got 45 Hogs. . Our group got 10 of those so we had a great trip. . Plus my 15 year old twins got to celebrate their birthday on the island. What an experience. Everyone We met were great people. We have some lifelong friends now. . I would like to thank all of the DNR personnel. For their hard work I know they don't get many pats on the back. But they have a hard job and they do their best to accommodate everyone. . Look forward to the next trip already in the planning stage.

Attachments

• 27518.jpeg
    27518.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 27529.jpeg
    27529.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 27531.jpeg
    27531.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 20200206_122237.jpg
    20200206_122237.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20200208_194228.jpg
    20200208_194228.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 69

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
JD, looks like a fun hunt and a nice birthday present for the twins. Hope everyone weathered the rain on Thursday night.

jdmoore308

Yes, the rain was somewhat dicey Thursday night.But everyone came through it okay, at least it Did not rain during the hunt. But unfortunately, there were some people bailing water out of their tent. I don't think there were very many of us that didn't figure out where their tent was leaking.

timetohunt

We had a wonderful trip to the island. . 41 Hunters Got 45 Hogs. . Our group got 10 of those so we had a great trip. . Plus my 15 year old twins got to celebrate their birthday on the island. What an experience. Everyone We met were great people. We have some lifelong friends now. . I would like to thank all of the DNR personnel. For their hard work I know they don't get many pats on the back. But they have a hard job and they do their best to accommodate everyone. . Look forward to the next trip already in the planning stage.
Great meeting you all, will be looking for you in the future out in the woods.
Pat