Ossabaw Island

Shad30

Has anyone ever been drawn for any hunt for Ossabaw? I think i have a good chance if I apply to get drawn. I'm more interested in the hog hunt but I have a chance at both i believe with 7 points each? The hog numbers still high as years past? Thought it could be a cool hunt before I get too old.

Mark R

I have hunted Ossabaw many times . there are still hogs on the island but not as many . the dnr goal is to get rid of them . if you enjoy camping its a good trip regardless

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
How is the boat ride? Been thinking of doing this for years but only have a small boat.

chrislibby88

How is the boat ride? Been thinking of doing this for years but only have a small boat.
My brother lives nearby, I think it’s all inter coastal waterways, so it shouldn’t be rough water. I think he said it’s about a 30 minute boat ride from ramp to island. You should be fine in a John boat or river boat. I’ve seen dudes still alive miles offshore in 15ft John boats.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
My brother lives nearby, I think it’s all inter coastal waterways, so it shouldn’t be rough water. I think he said it’s about a 30 minute boat ride from ramp to island. You should be fine in a John boat or river boat. I’ve seen dudes still alive miles offshore in 15ft John boats.

The Bear River gets pretty wide and if the tide and wind are pushing against each other it would not be a fun ride in a small boat. One member on here about sunk his bass boat.

Shad30, are those points for the deer/hog hunt or just the hog hunt? Still plenty of hogs on the island.

7 points will get you any hunt available in the state for the most part. If you would be satisfied with a beautiful camping trip on a secluded island where you do not get a shot at any game, go and have a ball. If your primary goal is a large deer or a big hog, there are much easier hunts where you can harvest game. A year pass to hunting Ft. Stewart will cost you about the same as the boat ride to Osabaw island. Not trying to discourage you, just know what you are looking for from the hunt.

Shad30

yeah
The Bear River gets pretty wide and if the tide and wind are pushing against each other it would not be a fun ride in a small boat. One member on here about sunk his bass boat.

Shad30, are those points for the deer/hog hunt or just the hog hunt? Still plenty of hogs on the island.

Sorry I just saw your response. Havent been on lately.
I have 7 for hog and 7 for deer.