Ossabaw Youth Hunt

Mac

Just got off the phone with the folks at Kilkenny Marina cost for the parent/child round trip is $130.
Also there were only 24 youth drawn for the hunt so there should not be a line for the boat ride. HA !!!!

Anyone else going on this trip?

I have been to the island many times but it will be my 16year old sons first trip.

oldfatbubba

Here's the history of Ossabaw's Adult / Child hunt. Beautiful place.
Ossabaw Island Adult Child History.jpg

edit: this is the deer harvest and does not include hogs.

Mac

Budda is that suppose to make us feel bad? LOL

We are going for the experience and hopefully get a hog, I have two big boars mounted behind me on the wall that came off the island. My son has gotten many deer but never had opportunity to hunt hogs.
Plus I want to show him the places I have been on the island.
With only 24 drawn there should be plenty of areas to move around.
I have hunted all over the island.

DCarter001

My daughter got drawn. We will be riding with the Kilkenny folks. Only 24. WOW!! I'm looking forward to spending a few day over there again. Still one of the best hunts around. Go for the experience and you won't be disappointed.

Shane Whitlock

24 kids I wonder if it was due to covid or nobody signing their kids up any more. Good luck see y’all there

Mac

Only 15 kids showed up, I understand the small draw was because of Covid.
The Adult hunts they drew 30 but with kids you have adults that also come.
So I guess that is why the smaller number.

When we left Saturday at 4:00 there had only been two deer taken. A mature doe and a fawn doe. We stalked up on three different deer within 20 yards, but did not want to take a doe, our focus were pigs. DNR does not log in the pigs, but I think about 10 were taken by 4 kids. So lots of kids were skunked.

We hunted hard and covered a lot of ground in multiple units. Finally we found the pigs on the third morning in the pouring rain. My son took the biggest boar of the hunt with nice cutters. Field dressed little over 100 pounds and netted 60 pounds of meat in the cooler. We saw 10 pigs on that last morning and could have shot another, but due to the long drag we had ahead of us we passed.

Mac

thumbnail (2).jpgthumbnail.jpg

A group of pigs were bedded down in the brush near the marsh. When they ran out my son shot the biggest one and was about to shoot another and I stopped him. That pig was all I wanted to drag back the way we came. No easy route. LOL

DCarter001

We had a great time. She held out for a buck until the last day. Finally took a shot at a doe. But no meat in the freezer. We saw a rattlesnake, alligator, donkey, pigs and deer, so I can only count it as a successful trip. I know all the kids there had a good time. They would gather up by, or sometimes on, the dock and laugh and joke. It was kids being kids and exactly how a youth hunt should go.

hunter44a

We had a great time. She held out for a buck until the last day. Finally took a shot at a doe. But no meat in the freezer. We saw a rattlesnake, alligator, donkey, pigs and deer, so I can only count it as a successful trip. I know all the kids there had a good time. They would gather up by, or sometimes on, the dock and laugh and joke. It was kids being kids and exactly how a youth hunt should go.
I agree. The kids had a blast whether they got something or not and the scenery there is amazing. My son was in awe of the place.

Shane Whitlock

Yes after deboning we ended up with 75 pounds of quality sausage. This boar hog he killed was 150 pound range... we saw a nice buck but no clear shot. We went to get him a hog, the first year we went, we struck out.