Ossabow 1st gun hunt

jdmoore308

Hey guys and gals hope everyone is doing well. Was just wondering if anyone new how many people showed up on the first rifle hunt and how many animals were killed? Got picked for the second rifle hunt starting to pack things now. From what I can tell does it look like it's going to be very crowded by ossabaw standards . Give me a shout if you're planning on going.

DCarter001

I'll be over there for the hunt next week. Only about half of the youth made it to their hunt last week. I believe there were 33 adults drawn for next week. If that's the case, it will be sparse, even if we all show up.

Mac

We were on the youth hunt.
Acorns are everywhere!!!
Until the last morning, we saw very few animals and covered a lot of ground in about 10 different areas.

Good luck!!3.jpg

jdmoore308

I'll be playing guide next week myself my fifteen-year-old son will be with me and he's bringing a friend of his that has never been to the island. Thought about taking them out to 65 or 66 it's been years since I've hunted out there used to do pretty good but that way they can see the beach. Hunted the southern end of the island the last several times done very well with Hogs not as good with deer,. Don't know we'll see what the weather looks like, don't want to go to an all-day area if they're calling for rain. Either way I'm sure we'll have a good time I have met some of the greatest people in the last 25 years of going down this will be my 14th trip took a several-year hiatus now we're going back taking the boys trying to show them the ropes before I get too old to run all that camping gear up and down the ramps LOL

Mac

On the youth hunt last week, One guy hunted 65 and 66 for two days. I think they got one pig the second day. We were on that route and it appears he covered a lot of ground in both areas. Also, several people signed in for 62, so I assume they hit 63 and 64, nothing came off of those areas. Guy on 62 the first morning hunted it on February pig hunt and said he shot two boxes of shells. Pigs everywhere? Only saw one injured 6 point this hunt.
Acorns where everywhere, therefore animals did not have to move for food.

oldfatbubba

Hey guys and gals hope everyone is doing well. Was just wondering if anyone new how many people showed up on the first rifle hunt and how many animals were killed?

Nov 12-14 Firearm Hunt Results:
20 Hunters
6 Bucks
7 Does
65% Success rates not including hogs

Unfortunately, the DNR no longer publishes the number of WMA hogs harvested. In prior years when they did publish hog harvest data, roughly an equal number of hogs and deer were harvested during the 1st Ossabaw gun hunt, FWIW.

DCarter001

JDMoore308 probably did a better job than I did of keeping up with the totals. Roughly 21 hunters took 20 deer, I think. The pig side of the cooler was jam packed, so I think they did better than the deer hunters.

Nov 12-14 Firearm Hunt Results:
20 Hunters
6 Bucks
7 Does
65% Success rates not including hogs

Unfortunately, the DNR no longer publishes the number of WMA hogs harvested. In prior years when they did publish hog harvest data, roughly an equal number of hogs and deer were harvested during the 1st Ossabaw gun hunt, FWIW.

I was there no I had to guess I would say around 30 hogs were taken