Otter Nonsense

GeorgiaBob

I have not seen an otter that "familiar" with people anywhere along coastal Georgia's tidelands. They are not really timid, but usually do keep their distance.

I have seen one those critters, above the tidewaters, absolutely take over a riverbank cooler and argue with me about who should enjoy the contents. It wasn't my cooler and the teeth looked pretty sharp, so I let the otter win that discussion. The owner of the cooler returned in time to see his last sandwich consumed and, seeing the otter's teeth shred the plastic bag to get the last of the bread, he agreed that the otter had a very good argument.

Fatback1

Wow, thanks for sharing.

I would say that's a learned behavior!

I've seen Otters taking fish scraps at the cleaning table at Lazaretto Creek Dock from guides cleaning their customers catch on Tybee. But, they would grab and go. This guy is pretty bold!

MrStark

Wow, thanks for sharing.

I would say that's a learned behavior!

I've seen Otters taking fish scraps at the cleaning table at Lazaretto Creek Dock from guides cleaning their customers catch on Tybee. But, they would grab and go. This guy is pretty bold!
Come to think of it, I think I've seen them under the bridge on Lazaretto.

Fishmonkey

Had a similar problem with a pelican near Bell's Landing ramp, but I've never seen an otter behave like that.

DynamicDennis

I've seen an otter in knee deep water pull a bulldogs eye out. Had to put the dog down, pretty feisty creatures.