Otters in a beaver set

Thread starter #1

buckpasser

Thanks for all the advice that the veterans have given me so far! Another new trapper question:

How often does it occur? What are measures to eliminate the possibility of it, or lessen the chance? Has anyone here had it happen? I worry about it setting in the creek runs and slides with the 330. I don’t want to catch otters and more importantly, my boss likes them. Thoughts?

You may just try to find the beavers den and block it. Nothing will be 100% though. But like mentioned above if you were targeting otters you would set 330s in the runs. Good luck.

benellisbe

I run 330s, snares and footholds on drowning rigs. I have caught Otter in all. I would rather leave them alone in my creek, but climbing the dam into my pond is a no go. I actually don't mind catching them in a 330 at the waterline of a slide in the pond as it does help the fish.

Edit: I have only caught 1Otter in a snare. I set my snares at the water line where beaver are feeding mostly, and use a castor lure or something similar to draw their head through the snare. If you want to try snares, they better be anchored well!

Thread starter #6
I run 330s, snares and footholds on drowning rigs. I have caught Otter in all. I would rather leave them alone in my creek, but climbing the dam into my pond is a no go. I actually don't mind catching them in a 330 at the waterline of a slide in the pond as it does help the fish.

Edit: I have only caught 1Otter in a snare. I set my snares at the water line where beaver are feeding mostly, and use a castor lure or something similar to draw their head through the snare. If you want to try snares, they better be anchored well!
I bought a dozen beaver snares yesterday as a matter of fact!