Ouch!

Jetjockey

It’s been a crazy year out West. We crushed the sharpies in September and early October, and then took a few weeks off for big game hunting. Started hunting upland birds again after Thanksgiving to what was suppose to be a decent year for pheasants and quail. All I can say is OUCH! We just got back from hunting Nebraska from the far west to south central, and I can easily say it was the worst two days of upland hunting I’ve ever had. We saw 4 total pheasants, and only moved 4 coveys. When I say we only saw 4 pheasants, that includes everywhere! Luckily we saw them in the fields we were hunting, but didn’t score as 3 where hens and the rooster stayed low, not giving us much of a shot. I think our next trip will be a little further east to target quail rather than a mixed bag hunt. If your planning on hunting pheasants this year in KS or NE, might want to rethink those plans. I hear early season was better, but still not great! We busted our trails for 1 single bird!

Attachments

• 14AEEBEF-1EF9-4A75-89C9-11C964331212.jpeg
    14AEEBEF-1EF9-4A75-89C9-11C964331212.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 57

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
At least you got one. You done forgot about trying to hunt wild birds in Georgia?

Jetjockey

At least you got one. You done forgot about trying to hunt wild birds in Georgia?
The lack of public hunting ground and wild birds was a shock when I moved there. Yesterday was the first day since moving back to CO in 2014 that I didn’t at least pull the trigger.

Beagle Stace

Sorry to hear that esp. For bird hunting mecca area. But come on back here and embrace the suck lol. But I must say I may break a record for me this year. 6 hunts 6 wild quail killed. I will take that here on true public land. I am sure it will improve for you there.

Jetjockey

Sorry to hear that esp. For bird hunting mecca area. But come on back here and embrace the suck lol. But I must say I may break a record for me this year. 6 hunts 6 wild quail killed. I will take that here on true public land. I am sure it will improve for you there.
That’s awesome! It’s tough in GA if you aren’t on one of the plantations like DiLane. GA really falls short with their walk in program. Most of the land I’m hunting is private, but enrolled in the public hunting program.

The nice thing about CO is within roughly 8 hours, you can be in most of the best upland hunting in the country...... My buddy didn’t have a KS license, otherwise I think we would have hunted back through KS rather than NE. I always have at least a CO, NE, and KS license. I’m going to try another mixed bag hunt in KS next Thursday and Friday, then head to NM to chase blues on Sat. Blues are down in NM, but a buddy who lives there said they are still moving 10ish coveys a day. I’ll post some picts if we have any luck.

Eroc33

Dang I have been trying to decide between KS and Iowa in a couple weeks, and I was leaning toward KS because of the good reports I heard early. But now I'm not sure.

Jetjockey

Dang I have been trying to decide between KS and Iowa in a couple weeks, and I was leaning toward KS because of the good reports I heard early. But now I'm not sure.
Ill be hitting it Next Thursday and Friday. I may not remember this post, but if you want to shoot me a pm I’ll give you a report. I’ll be heading further East and hunting the corridor that had the highest crow counts this summer.

mlandrum

Well boys I have one more month of rehab from my heart surgery THEN me and "Scout" gona hit some birds on preserves cause I'm bout to go crazy!!!!!