Pa Timber Rattlesnake

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
North East Pennsylvania

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is by far the most common color phase we have here, except ours usually don't have that stripe down the back.

Resica

I saw these 2 on Saturday. First one was about 2 feet long, second was bigger. Centre/ Clinton County Pa.

Attachments

• 20220917_133942.jpg
    20220917_133942.jpg
    955.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220917_140721.jpg
    20220917_140721.jpg
    940 KB · Views: 57

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I saw these 2 on Saturday. First one was about 2 feet long, second was bigger. Centre/ Clinton County Pa.
Nice blacks. Been a couple years since I've seen a black phase.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a yaller and black from my neck of the woods. Met both of these hiking into fish a lil creek near here:

yellowrattler1.jpg

blackrattler2.jpg

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Nice blacks. Been a couple years since I've seen a black phase.
It seems to be opposite in Schuylkill and Carbon counties here, there are a lot of black phase and few yellow that I have seen over the years. I don't go looking to do surveys though, lolol.

Resica

It seems to be opposite in Schuylkill and Carbon counties here, there are a lot of black phase and few yellow that I have seen over the years. I don't go looking to do surveys though, lolol.
I've only seen 1 rattler in Schuylkill near New Ringgold. Used to hunt alot in Monroe and Pike before we built a camp in Centre. Before we built our camp, I had never seen a rattler.

Resica

I see both blacks and yellows in Centre. We have a hibernarium on the property down the hill from camp. I've seen 15 rattlers at a time down there on the gigantic rock we have.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I've only seen 1 rattler in Schuylkill near New Ringgold. Used to hunt alot in Monroe and Pike before we built a camp in Centre. Before we built our camp, I had never seen a rattler.
The Broad Mtn that spans both Schuylkill and Carbon is loaded with Rattlers. Since the 1980s we have seen dozens upon dozens sunning themselves on the abundant rocks.

Resica

We have found 2 in our outhouse. First one, the user didn't know till after he sat down and the thing rattled. I later saw one under the overhang behind the toilet. I never would have looked if my buddy hadn't had his experience.