Packs

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
I am probably in the minority, but I prefer to carry the smallest packs I can. This is my gear for this season. Maxpedition DevilDog waist/lumbar pack that I sewed a shoulder harness for, and a T&K bino harness. The only thing I'm waiting on is a Maxpedition Rolly Poly backpack that folds down to 3"x5" and will fit on my waist pack that I'll use as a meat bag. This is everything I need, hammock seat, gear, navigation, hydration, snacks. I try to be as light and unencumbered as possible so I can hunt on the move.View attachment 1091232

I keep it pretty light too. I use a badlands 2200. Its pretty much empty and might weigh 15-16lbs when I step off into the timber

Professor

I am probably in the minority, but I prefer to carry the smallest packs I can. This is my gear for this season. Maxpedition DevilDog waist/lumbar pack that I sewed a shoulder harness for, and a T&K bino harness. The only thing I'm waiting on is a Maxpedition Rolly Poly backpack that folds down to 3"x5" and will fit on my waist pack that I'll use as a meat bag. This is everything I need, hammock seat, gear, navigation, hydration, snacks. I try to be as light and unencumbered as possible so I can hunt on the move.View attachment 1091232
I have a huge frame pack, but when I am only a couple of miles from the truck, I pack light. As you know, I ordered a T&K bino harness and I really like it. It is certainly more compact and lighter than the competition. Most of the time I hunt with a USGI Waist Pack. It holds about 350 ci of stuff. Water, snacks, insect repellent, TP, flashlight, extra batteries, a small rain poncho, etc. I can even shove a shirt or vest in it if I get too warm. If I have one on the ground I will happily walk to the truck to retrieve my big pack.

chrislibby88

I have a huge frame pack, but when I am only a couple of miles from the truck, I pack light. As you know, I ordered a T&K bino harness and I really like it. It is certainly more compact and lighter than the competition. Most of the time I hunt with a USGI Waist Pack. It holds about 350 ci of stuff. Water, snacks, insect repellent, TP, flashlight, extra batteries, a small rain poncho, etc. I can even shove a shirt or vest in it if I get too warm. If I have one on the ground I will happily walk to the truck to retrieve my big pack.
You digging the T&K? My el cheapo vortex harness is getting worn, and I’m gonna need a new one soon.

Professor

I do like it. It was not cheap, but good stuff should not be. The only drag is that they make them to order and it might take a bit to get delivery.

jbogg

Early bow season I’m usually carrying 6 - 8lbs of just water for an all day hunt, so I’d hate to admit how much my gear weighs fully loaded. It’s probably best that I don’t know. I ran out of water a couple miles in during a dry spell a few years ago and couldn’t top off at the spring I was counting on, so now I probably carry more water than I need to.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I like this thread. No matter what any one of you chooses its interesting to see your style. You're never wrong til you get out there and test your gear. Then you see what you wish you had and what you wished you had left at home. And what you wish you'd never bought. I'm guilty of packing heavy because I'm into bushcraft so sometimes I have a Condor hatchet or large knife like the ESEE 6. I also like comfort so my sleep system is semi heavier. I'm not hunting elk in Montana so I try to keep my mind on my actual possible scenarios. I live in Cherokee Co so I'm usually going to the CNF. Would be great to have a get-together with any of you guys who are local and wanna talk backpack hunting or black bears or both.

splatek

UAEC
All my packs have 3 liter bladders. i take nuun tabs or salt gum.
My park is either the alps pack or the plastic frame. I’ll pack in a few snacks but been fasting anyhow so I’m not that concerned about food. The plastic frame probably weighs a pound. In the Past I’ve worn my saddle in and thrown my climbing method over my shoulder. This year I might use my ghillie hood and focus on ground hunting. There are times I need/want to move and there is some psychological issue I have that goes like this “once you’re in the tree you can’t move” haha. I know it’s not true. But my mind messes with me.
Plus with my recurve I need to get close. I was out of range of a free animals last season that with some good stalking (of which I know nothing about) I likely could’ve snuck up to stick bow range.

chrislibby88

All my packs have 3 liter bladders. i take nuun tabs or salt gum.
My park is either the alps pack or the plastic frame. I’ll pack in a few snacks but been fasting anyhow so I’m not that concerned about food. The plastic frame probably weighs a pound. In the Past I’ve worn my saddle in and thrown my climbing method over my shoulder. This year I might use my ghillie hood and focus on ground hunting. There are times I need/want to move and there is some psychological issue I have that goes like this “once you’re in the tree you can’t move” haha. I know it’s not true. But my mind messes with me.
Plus with my recurve I need to get close. I was out of range of a free animals last season that with some good stalking (of which I know nothing about) I likely could’ve snuck up to stick bow range.
Stalking is pretty intuitive, stay upwind, move slow, don’t make much noise and don’t move when their eyes and ears are up. If they are feeding then the crunching and chewing can give you some noise cover. There are just times when it’s next to impossible, like dry crunchy days with no wind cover. Wet windy days are great, and dry windy days are ok. Deer are very tough to get into bow range compared to pigs, and I’ve heard feeding bears are pretty easy to slip up on, no real experience on bears though.
Come down to middle Ga during small game and get some practice on pigs.

ChidJ

For most of my Georgia hunting, I have a little hill people gear chest pack with necessities and I have an army ruck frame with my climber lashed to it with my drag line.