Paging C. Killmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

NGA44

Might want to educate yourself as to carrying capacity of different parts of the state before spouting off about things you obviously dont understand...
Well you obviously don’t understand our mountain deer herd if you think they are at carrying capacity. There are areas of prime deer habitat in the mountains that are devoid of deer because we are stuck in a predator sink situation. The only way to overcome this dynamic is to significantly lower the predator population or to increase the deer population.
So how well do you understand mountain deer population dynamics and how the predator/prey relationship is just as critical an issue as the lower quality habitat situation? Clearly not very well.

LittleDrummerBoy

Absolute hogwash that it is legal to do this. Perfectly good deer that a hard working hunter or a kid could kill and enjoy.

Why should farmers lose thousands to feed an overpopulated deer herd? (Herds within the carrying capacity don't do much agricultural damage.) I once was a farmer raising sweet corn, apples, pears, and grapes in an overpopulated urban area - close to 100 deer per square mile. We allowed as many hunters as we could each season, but they couldn't control the herd on our small farm since most of the neighboring areas were closed to hunting (suburban areas, parks, etc.) Thanks to the damage control permit program, we killed about as many deer out of season as the hunters killed in season each year.

Eventually, the park authority near by had to pay several hundred dollars each to kill each of a hundred deer. So the dozen or two deer we killed each year was taking nothing away from hunters, but saving taxpayers thousands of dollars. Lots of kids got their first deer hunting our farm. But we still needed to kill a couple dozen in spring and summer to reduce crop damages.

Neither the state nor the hunters have the right to maintain a deer herd well above carrying capacity by destroying farmer's crops. Now, if the taxpayer would pay in full for all crop damages (and car accidents), I bet we could work something out.

NGA44

Why should farmers lose thousands to feed an overpopulated deer herd? (Herds within the carrying capacity don't do much agricultural damage.) I once was a farmer raising sweet corn, apples, pears, and grapes in an overpopulated urban area - close to 100 deer per square mile. We allowed as many hunters as we could each season, but they couldn't control the herd on our small farm since most of the neighboring areas were closed to hunting (suburban areas, parks, etc.) Thanks to the damage control permit program, we killed about as many deer out of season as the hunters killed in season each year.

Eventually, the park authority near by had to pay several hundred dollars each to kill each of a hundred deer. So the dozen or two deer we killed each year was taking nothing away from hunters, but saving taxpayers thousands of dollars. Lots of kids got their first deer hunting our farm. But we still needed to kill a couple dozen in spring and summer to reduce crop damages.

Neither the state nor the hunters have the right to maintain a deer herd well above carrying capacity by destroying farmer's crops. Now, if the taxpayer would pay in full for all crop damages (and car accidents), I bet we could work something out.
Respectfully, you missed my point. My issue is with the fact those deer are killed when they could be moved to an area of the state that is struggling and kids aren’t able to have the opportunity to kill their first deer since there aren’t any. It makes me sick to see them wasted when they could be put to better use to help recover an area of the state struggling with their deer.

cowhornedspike

I feel that farmers should be required to utilize all other options first, fencing (high or electric, spaced double fencing etc.), public hunting opportunities, deer deterrent spraying, and whatever else might help before being given a kill permit. If the deer are causing that much financial cost to the farmer then a one-time fence expense may be reasonable.

NGA44

This is state law, you might to talk with your elected officials. Restocking will not fix the issues in the mountains, it will just waste a bunch of money. It costs anywhere from $600 to $1000 dollars to capture and relocate a single deer. Many wouldn't survive after relocation anyway.
I don’t believe you. I will definitely call my local DNR guy that has tagged multiple bears for me and checked in deer at the check station for me. He cares as much about the mountain deer herd as I do after multiple conversations with him and I would like his take on this particular matter.
We moved deer and turkeys regularly and restocked areas in the not so distant past, why are you acting like it’s so impossible to do now? I’m honestly starting to think you don’t care a thing about our mountain deer herd.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Respectfully, you missed my point. My issue is with the fact those deer are killed when they could be moved to an area of the state that is struggling and kids aren’t able to have the opportunity to kill their first deer since there aren’t any. It makes me sick to see them wasted when they could be put to better use to help recover an area of the state struggling with their deer.
This is state law, you might to talk with your elected officials. Restocking will not fix the issues in the mountains, it will just waste a bunch of money. It costs anywhere from $600 to $1000 dollars to capture and relocate a single deer. Many wouldn't survive after relocation anyway.
Here is what mr Charlie said.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
Well you obviously don’t understand our mountain deer herd if you think they are at carrying capacity. There are areas of prime deer habitat in the mountains that are devoid of deer because we are stuck in a predator sink situation. The only way to overcome this dynamic is to significantly lower the predator population or to increase the deer population.
So how well do you understand mountain deer population dynamics and how the predator/prey relationship is just as critical an issue as the lower quality habitat situation? Clearly not very well.
uhh..ok

LittleDrummerBoy

If the deer are causing that much financial cost to the farmer then a one-time fence expense may be reasonable.

When I was a farmer, it was on a year-to-year lease arrangement. High fencing or double fencing would have cost me 20X more than the annual lease. No financial sense to that.

In addition, killing the deer solved lots of problems for others also in an area where hunters were simply unable to kill enough deer.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I feel that farmers should be required to utilize all other options first, fencing (high or electric, spaced double fencing etc.), public hunting opportunities, deer deterrent spraying, and whatever else might help before being given a kill permit. If the deer are causing that much financial cost to the farmer then a one-time fence expense may be reasonable.
The amount of fenceung it would take would make the Mexico wall look cheap. Every field in Ga. ?

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I don’t believe you. I will definitely call my local DNR guy that has tagged multiple bears for me and checked in deer at the check station for me. He cares as much about the mountain deer herd as I do after multiple conversations with him and I would like his take on this particular matter.
We moved deer and turkeys regularly and restocked areas in the not so distant past, why are you acting like it’s so impossible to do now? I’m honestly starting to think you don’t care a thing about our mountain deer herd.
You do realize that @C.Killmaster is your local DNR guys boss, right? As well as the best advocate for the states natural resources that we have had in a long time....

LittleDrummerBoy

Make a $50,000 contribution, and I'm sure they'll be glad to move 50 deer for you.

Moving deer is a very expensive proposition with a low success rate. Don't burden the taxpayer with it. Break out your checkbook.

buckshed

One of the issues that hasn't been brought up here yet is people with permits allowing friends to shoot bucks. Dnr finally caught up with individuals who had a permit on a field adjacent to our lease, they were shooting trophy bucks that I had on camera all summer. Then all of a sudden there are zero trophies on my cam. Game warden got involved and they were caught red handed killing these bucks. Oh they choose to shoot the bucks in late Aug and early Sept...go figure

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
One of the issues that hasn't been brought up here yet is people with permits allowing friends to shoot bucks. Dnr finally caught up with individuals who had a permit on a field adjacent to our lease, they were shooting trophy bucks that I had on camera all summer. Then all of a sudden there are zero trophies on my cam. Game warden got involved and they were caught red handed killing these bucks. Oh they choose to shoot the bucks in late Aug and early Sept...go figure
Sounds like to me that issues got dealt with.
Glad DNR got them. I bet they don’t get no more tags for that.

cowhornedspike

i don't understand why someone would force a farmer to spend $900,000 on fencing to protect $1,000,000 worth of crop when a box of .308 bullets is $17.99.

Because that is a one time expense and a long term solution and the cost spreads out over many years....and I believe you need to find another fence supplier if you are gonna be charged that much...just sayin.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I honestly don’t see how anybody thinks a farmer doesn’t have a right to protect his livelihood.......and I have spent years griping about how many does folks shoot. A fellas income is a heck of a lot more important than my hunting prospects.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Because that is a one time expense and a long term solution and the cost spreads out over many years....and I believe you need to find another fence supplier if you are gonna be charged that much...just sayin.
Some areas would be fenced off so bad it would like trap deer in areas. ?
Not mention all the up keep of weeds trees falling on it plus a 100 other things.
Anyway it’s there land now you want to regulate them for a deer.
Yeap this is America where folks run your business for you. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts