Paging C. Killmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
There’s plenty of land to hunt that doesn’t border farmland, if you having trouble seeing deer why not go hunt somewhere else n not see deer but avoid the stress farmer Bob causes you shooting up the local herd.

NGA44

Let me make it clear, I have no issue with farmers protecting their crops. I do have an issue with those deer being wasted when there is a LEGITIMATE, DESPERATE need for them in the northern mountains. My problem is not with the farmers but with the organization that allows them to be killed instead of just TRYING to move them to repopulate like what was done in years past. It has been done before why can’t it happen again? If it wasn’t financially possible then they never would have restocked deer back then.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Well everyone up here in the mountains would LOVE to have those problems. I have a major problem with killing them in one part of the state because they are a “nuisance” while other parts of the exact same state have a deer population of 0.001 deer per square mile.
Maybe you should go to South Georgia to hunt :huh:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Let me make it clear, I have no issue with farmers protecting their crops. I do have an issue with those deer being wasted when there is a LEGITIMATE, DESPERATE need for them in the northern mountains. My problem is not with the farmers but with the organization that allows them to be killed instead of just TRYING to move them to repopulate like what was done in years past. It has been done before why can’t it happen again? If it wasn’t financially possible then they never would have restocked deer back then.
Charlie said y’all have enough there now to repopulate the heard. The habit needs to change I believe he said. Plus a few other things.
Bring deer up there just to get shot. That’s a lot of man hours as said at tax payers expense. Go south and hunt. Give your area a break.

NGA44

I wish y’all had a better heard.
I do too friend. You have to understand that we have been told for years by higher ups in DNR that they are working on it, but actions speak louder than words. All we have had is cheap talk by people with fancy degrees.
At some point the rubber has to meet the road. Us mountain hunters interact with our local wardens and area biologists regularly due to getting bears tagged in person and in talking to them they are just as frustrated with this cheap talk as us hunters are.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I do too friend. You have to understand that we have been told for years by higher ups in DNR that they are working on it, but actions speak louder than words. All we have had is cheap talk by people with fancy degrees.
At some point the rubber has to meet the road. Us mountain hunters interact with our local wardens and area biologists regularly due to getting bears tagged in person and in talking to them they are just as frustrated with this cheap talk as us hunters are.
Best of luck to y’all.

shdw633

One of the issues that hasn't been brought up here yet is people with permits allowing friends to shoot bucks. Dnr finally caught up with individuals who had a permit on a field adjacent to our lease, they were shooting trophy bucks that I had on camera all summer. Then all of a sudden there are zero trophies on my cam. Game warden got involved and they were caught red handed killing these bucks. Oh they choose to shoot the bucks in late Aug and early Sept...go figure

This is why I ask the question I asked. It's one thing to have hired guns out there that know what they are doing and are killing the right deer but I'm hearing and seeing situations of abuse and when the local game warden is talked to about it he says he can't hardly do anything about it because they have thermal optics, all they have to do is scan the area to make sure there are no heat signatures from engines or people before they start unloading on the deer and yes both bucks and does have been killed and just left in fields over the last couple of years. Obviously from my post I believe there is a situation going on (supposedly, at this point it is hear say) where a Florida hunter is shooting does and is saying he's on a permit to do so, hence the question to Mr. Killmaster.

Reactions: Kev

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
This is why I ask the question I asked. It's one thing to have hired guns out there that know what they are doing and are killing the right deer but I'm hearing and seeing situations of abuse and when the local game warden is talked to about it he says he can't hardly do anything about it because they have thermal optics, all they have to do is scan the area to make sure there are no heat signatures from engines or people before they start unloading on the deer and yes both bucks and does have been killed and just left in fields over the last couple of years. Obviously from my post I believe there is a situation going on (supposedly, at this point it is hear say) where a Florida hunter is shooting does and is saying he's on a permit to do so, hence the question to Mr. Killmaster.
You hunt around some agricultural fields also.

buckpasser

Do all livelihoods deserve to go around the law to defend their profits? I might become a trucker. I’ll put a cow scoop on the front of my rig and plow through intersections and traffic jams. Stopping would cut into my profits. Maybe I’ll become a business man and keep my tax money instead of paying them, you know, to protect my profits.

I appreciate ag as much as the next guy, but having farmers view themselves as heroes is getting old. The permits are abused and a joke. Yes, there are some exceptions.

rugerfan

This subject is a hard subject to actually digest. You are speaking about farmers lively hoods vs. a hunters passion. What do you do? As a fan of free commerce and money making, I can see the farmer's stance........

Although there has to be a happy medium, a farmer should not get permits or the rights to kill every deer that is seen eating crops. Does a farmer get insurance against crop damage? It is an actual question, not trying to be a smart butt.

I have to also side with hunters and the fact that killing any deer needs to be strictly regulated, and that the buddy system needs to be regulated. If you are are paying for a lease that borders a farm, I can see saying "screw the farmer" I am paying money to hunt here.

It is a super tough situation to be involved in. We as hunters are paying for a hunting license and a right to hunt. I expect that the gooberment will keep the farmers and the hunters in check.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I don’t believe you. I will definitely call my local DNR guy that has tagged multiple bears for me and checked in deer at the check station for me. He cares as much about the mountain deer herd as I do after multiple conversations with him and I would like his take on this particular matter.
We moved deer and turkeys regularly and restocked areas in the not so distant past, why are you acting like it’s so impossible to do now? I’m honestly starting to think you don’t care a thing about our mountain deer herd.

Of course it worked back then, we had no deer predators and more early successional habitat than you could shake a stick at during the deer restocking era. Starting 30 years ago, timber harvest has all but halted and predator populations have increased substantially on National Forest. Spending millions of dollars dumping naive animals into an inhospitable environment will not solve the problem. The entire restocking effort was ~4000 deer from 1929 until 1975, there are plenty enough deer to repopulate the mountains if the conditions are right. That's why we shut down doe days on CNF, it won't solve the problem but it keeps it from getting worse.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Do all livelihoods deserve to go around the law to defend their profits? I might become a trucker. I’ll put a cow scoop on the front of my rig and plow through intersections and traffic jams. Stopping would cut into my profits. Maybe I’ll become a business man and keep my tax money instead of paying them, you know, to protect my profits.

I appreciate ag as much as the next guy, but having farmers view themselves as heroes is getting old. The permits are abused and a joke. Yes, there are some exceptions.

I agree on the point about farmers viewing themselves as heroes, they are no more noble than the local gas station attendant. Just folks trying to make a livin’.

But if they get permits they are not circumventing the law. im not sure how the analogy applies. A more accurate analogy would be the a store owner protecting his property from looters.

Doghunter11

I feel that farmers should be required to utilize all other options first, fencing (high or electric, spaced double fencing etc.), public hunting opportunities, deer deterrent spraying, and whatever else might help before being given a kill permit. If the deer are causing that much financial cost to the farmer then a one-time fence expense may be reasonable.
Would you want to pay to fence in a couple thousand acres? I’m all for not wasting the deer when you shoot them but I understand it’s just how it goes. Same thing with hogs but not many people get that upset when they kill 30 hogs and leave them laying. The farmer makes a living growing crops and lots of people survive eating the crops these farmers sell. None of us want the government to force us to pay a huge tax to operate our business why force the burden of paying for fencing to protect our deer on a farmer? I hate to see the deer killed but mostly because I’m a deer hunter otherwise it wouldn’t be such a big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.