Paging C. Killmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

shdw633

Please explain how permit hunting is suppose to be done in Georgia (limit, methods, applications, etc) and if there are any laws on the books regarding permit hunters using silencers and thermal optics. Also, can a hunter from another state be on a farmers permit and if deer that are killed on that permit can be sold either in or out of state.

shdw633

That simply tells me they are allowed to do it, I know they are allowed to do it. That doesn't answer my question.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Please explain how permit hunting is suppose to be done in Georgia (limit, methods, applications, etc) and if there are any laws on the books regarding permit hunters using silencers and thermal optics. Also, can a hunter from another state be on a farmers permit and if deer that are killed on that permit can be sold either in or out of state.

Permits are issued for antlerless deer only unless the person can demonstrate bucks are causing the damage, like rubbing trees in a nursery or young orchard. The number of deer allowed depends on the size of the crop fields and extent of damage, but usually it's for 10 deer. Permits can be renewed if damage persists after 10 are killed. Silencers and thermal are allowed. Non-residents cannot be assistants on a permit. Deer cannot be sold, in or out of state. They can be donated or consumed by the permitted and assistants.

shdw633

Permits are issued for antlerless deer only unless the person can demonstrate bucks are causing the damage, like rubbing trees in a nursery or young orchard. The number of deer allowed depends on the size of the crop fields and extent of damage, but usually it's for 10 deer. Permits can be renewed if damage persists after 10 are killed. Silencers and thermal are allowed. Non-residents cannot be assistants on a permit. Deer cannot be sold, in or out of state. They can be donated or consumed by the permitted and assistants.

Thank you very much Sir!!! Very much appreciated!!!

NGA44

Absolute hogwash that it is legal to do this. Perfectly good deer that a hard working hunter or a kid could kill and enjoy. What a joke, DNR should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to happen.
There are hardly any deer in the mountains and we’re massacaring them at night and wasting them in other places. Those deer could have been moved to the mountains to jump start the population and get us on the road to recovery.
What an travesty!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Farmer has got to make a living.
To him it’s a Nuisance!
Nursery the same.
I can’t even grow a pea garden where I am unless I fence in everything. Don’t have the money for that so I don’t worry.
They eat my squash also egg plant but that’s ok I’m not a farmer for a living.

NGA44

Well everyone up here in the mountains would LOVE to have those problems. I have a major problem with killing them in one part of the state because they are a “nuisance” while other parts of the exact same state have a deer population of 0.001 deer per square mile.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Another funny fact. Most the deer here are bucks. Some are nice. Few does. Come hunting season most the hunters bring in does and young bucks.
Them big bucks know where to eat and avoid hunters during the season.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Well everyone up here in the mountains would LOVE to have those problems. I have a major problem with killing them in one part of the state because they are a “nuisance” while other parts of the exact same state have a deer population of 0.001 deer per square mile.

Y’all need to cut big oak stands Leave some and plant pines for cover. Let Weed beds grow to browse. Open oaks are not the best. Need oaks to for turkey.
More of a blend. Quit killing does for a few years then u too will have the problem.

georgia_home

Not everyone has problems with deer. And not every place has that many. But those that do, it can be a big money problem, and occasionally deadly for people.

A friend, who I started hunting with in the late 90’s has several farms in a resort area of Delmarva. So many new developments and activist attitudes that you can’t hunt a lot of places any more.

Add to that high density deer food, various standing crops that offer cover, and they are flooded with deer.

They’ll wear a farm out in a week or two if left alone. Almost as bad as hogs. Almost

My buddy also had a fatal crash at the front of his farm. Car/deer collision.

He has the tags for locals, about the same rules as GA, with extended season for does. Firearms allowed for archery season, with crop damage tag. And they still can’t kill enough.

Not every place has this problem, but when you do, you need the tools.

Begrudging someone who has a problem you don’t is a waste of time.

uturn

Absolute hogwash that it is legal to do this. Perfectly good deer that a hard working hunter or a kid could kill and enjoy. What a joke, DNR should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to happen.
There are hardly any deer in the mountains and we’re massacaring them at night and wasting them in other places. Those deer could have been moved to the mountains to jump start the population and get us on the road to recovery.
What an travesty!

Something to be considered...hopefully that conversation if it hasn’t may happen one day.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
What an travesty!

This is state law, you might to talk with your elected officials. Restocking will not fix the issues in the mountains, it will just waste a bunch of money. It costs anywhere from $600 to $1000 dollars to capture and relocate a single deer. Many wouldn't survive after relocation anyway.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
What an travesty!
Might want to educate yourself as to carrying capacity of different parts of the state before spouting off about things you obviously dont understand...

Status
Not open for further replies.