Palmetto Berries?

Artfuldodger

We never ate these growing up. Now they are a cash crop in Florida. Suppose to be good for the prostate and urinary tract infections.
saw-palmetto-berry-photo.jpg

Artfuldodger

The strong flavor of the berries was described in 1692 by shipwrecked Quakers as the flavor of rotten cheese steeped in tobacco juice. Others say the taste is like a sweet, especially strong bleu cheese.

Artfuldodger

I wonder if people get leases like they do to rake pine straw? They starting to get ripe now. Especially through September and October!

IIICrkRepr

Its all fun and games until the commercial pickers show up during the rut with land owner permission after paying 3x the lease fee to gain access. It caused my group to leave a lease in Flagler County.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I know on public lands in Florida, they have a severe problem with poachers and saw palmetto berries. Causes the bears to raid garbage cans...it is their primary fall food in South GA and Florida. I bump into FWC in Walton Co. when I am out taking pictures of orchids in the fall...that is what they are looking for, palmetto berry poachers. Worth a lot of money.

HM

Hu
I know on public lands in Florida, they have a severe problem with poachers and saw palmetto berries. Causes the bears to raid garbage cans...it is their primary fall food in South GA and Florida. I bump into FWC in Walton Co. when I am out taking pictures of orchids in the fall...that is what they are looking for, palmetto berry poachers. Worth a lot of money.

Huge problem now on Georgia WMA's, not only are the poachers removing a food source they usually trash the area as the move through

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I saw a no Palmetto berry picking sign at Blythe island state park. I wondered why.

Now I know.