Parchment paper wad

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Many probably already know this but I thought I'd share it anyway for those who might not.

I hunt almost exclusively with a traditional side lock muzzleloader during gun season and I like to shoot the Thompson Center Maxi Ball and sometimes the Maxi Hunter in my old Thompson Center New Englander. One of the issues with these two loads is that it's possible for the bullet to slip a little forward of the powder charge after loading which can lead to all sorts of problems. An easy way to prevent this is a small piece of parchment paper from the baking section of the grocery store. Any paper will work but cooking parchment paper has a higher ignition temperature than regular paper and is less likely to smolder after firing. Just wad up a small ball of parchment paper so that it's tight enough in the bore to hold your bullet in place, just like if you were firing bird shot in a smooth bore fowler.
This hasn't hurt accuracy for me and isn't dangerous so long as you are only using a small ball of paper about the size of a normal patched ball.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Many probably already know this but I thought I'd share it anyway for those who might not.

I hunt almost exclusively with a traditional side lock muzzleloader during gun season and I like to shoot the Thompson Center Maxi Ball and sometimes the Maxi Hunter in my old Thompson Center New Englander. One of the issues with these two loads is that it's possible for the bullet to slip a little forward of the powder charge after loading which can lead to all sorts of problems. An easy way to prevent this is a small piece of parchment paper from the baking section of the grocery store. Any paper will work but cooking parchment paper has a higher ignition temperature than regular paper and is less likely to smolder after firing. Just wad up a small ball of parchment paper so that it's tight enough in the bore to hold your bullet in place, just like if you were firing bird shot in a smooth bore fowler.
This hasn't hurt accuracy for me and isn't dangerous so long as you are only using a small ball of paper about the size of a normal patched ball.
Have you thought of wasp nest for that use?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Dang does are out feeding right now. Can’t shoot them on national forest where I’m hunting. Maybe a buck will show.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Have you thought of wasp nest for that use?
Yes, I actually collected a bunch of wasp nests one time and traded them to one of the smooth bore guys at a rendezvous. He used them to shoot bird shot. Not sure about ignition temperature of wasp nests but it does work. Parchment paper is just easier for me right now and doesn't ignite easily.

Darkhorse

I use wasp nest in my turkey load for my .40 caliber. I was getting inconsistent ignition and thought maybe excess lube was contaminating my powder charge. So I decided to try some wasp nest to help absorb the lube.
60 grains of 3fg, a layer of finger torn wasp nest on top of the powder, then a .395 round ball patched with .018 pillow ticking lubed with canola oil.
No more inconsistent loads. A turkey killer supreme.

flintlock hunter

The most accuratre load in my flintlock pistol is a Lee REAL 250 gr bullet with 45 grs of Goex under it, but it walked off the charge and actually dropped out of the barrel while it was being carried in its' holster. That caused me to work up a patched ball load that is pretty good, but not as accurate as the REAL load.

I'm seriously going to check out the parchment paper idea of yours, it is a pretty interesting idea. Thanks for sharing!